Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Sponsoring TRIARRII

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Ive never done much research on using offroad lights but are you implying that the glare from the ironman4x4 led light bar will be unbearable? I did not know Home Depot and Lowes sold Plasti-Dip, I thought it was a specialty item purchased from a website. How exactly does one made a perfect outside without making anything un-even? Also Ive seen alot of blackout kits and spray applications used and they all seem to be the flat black color. What about a shiny black instead?

I still have not made up my mind about which design I will have printed for my truck but it will be roughly 54 inches wide and 36 inches long..
The idea behind a hood blackout is to minimize glare on your hood. Matte black works best for this. Gloss black is shiny and reflects lights which is the opposite of what you want to do. Yes, you'll get glare from your lightbar. How much will depend on the bar's beam pattern, how you have it aimed, and how far back on your roof it sits.
Menards has the PlastiDip for about $6 a can, Amazon has it sor about $7 a can. You eliminate overspray by taping off the area you don't want to paint. You basically follow the line the raised part of the hood makes.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

It bothers some people others it doesn't. I think the point of the matte finish is to kill the glare from the lights going gloss would be counter productive I would think. The spray cans come in matte black and are easy to use. I would try to do it indoors if possible as the cans do not like being cold when sprayed. I generally stick them in a bucket of HOT water before spraying and rotate them to keep them warm and flowing smoothly. For larger projects I use a spray station and buy it by the gallon

Plasti-dip is easy to use, I mean come on I've painted 4 whole cars with it. I've also done the grill and light surrounds on the 110 with it as well.

Here is the MGB in dip.

Name:  IMG_20140824_173827_zpsafbporbs.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  123.2 KB

Here are some 110 parts in matte black spray can

Name:  20130831_185747_zps3ab968c2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  20130831_174452_zps2af5b96a.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  115.9 KB

Just take your time do a lite dusting coat and wait about 15 min then spray normal coats 15 minute interval on those as well. 5-6 coats should be a good thickness. You want a build up so you can peel it later without it being a pain in the butt. If you don't do it thick enough goo gone will take it right off.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

MGB in matte black I almost left it this way lol but it was a base coat. It was a little blotchy but it was still wet in spots from some touch up shots.

Name:  IMG_20140816_184201_zpsius3avdr.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  92.8 KB

Old 11-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
It bothers some people others it doesn't. I think the point of the matte finish is to kill the glare from the lights going gloss would be counter productive I would think. The spray cans come in matte black and are easy to use. I would try to do it indoors if possible as the cans do not like being cold when sprayed. I generally stick them in a bucket of HOT water before spraying and rotate them to keep them warm and flowing smoothly. For larger projects I use a spray station and buy it by the gallon

Plasti-dip is easy to use, I mean come on I've painted 4 whole cars with it. I've also done the grill and light surrounds on the 110 with it as well.

Here is the MGB in dip.

Here are some 110 parts in matte black spray can

Just take your time do a lite dusting coat and wait about 15 min then spray normal coats 15 minute interval on those as well. 5-6 coats should be a good thickness. You want a build up so you can peel it later without it being a pain in the butt. If you don't do it thick enough goo gone will take it right off.
Slightly off thread AR, but that B looks fantastic. I was brought up with MG A's, B's and C's and none looked as good as that. In the late 60's I rebuilt and resprayed my MGA twincam which was originally in the awful original pale bluey colour, I hated it. I changed color to a metallic midnight blue which in those days was unheard of

Funny but true story! when I was 17 a guy was selling a Jaguar SS100. At the time I didn't have enough money so asked my father to borrow £120. Being him he said he'd want to see the car first. So the seller dropped around with it. On seeing it my father said "I'm not lending you that kind of money to buy a car that doesn't even have a roof" so I never bought it. Today the Jag SS100 would fetch around $300,000-$500,000. Hey-ho, can't have everything one wishes for

Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://www.suffolksportscars.com/images/gallery/gallery/ss100(3).jpg

Name:  IMG_20140824_173827_zpsafbporbs.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  123.2 KB

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 11-11-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Totally off topic but the MGB is my baby. That is the third color it's been this year. It started out Royal Blue Pearl, then Saturn Yellow Pearl and finally the Kamodo Color Flip pearl over a red pearl base.

Similar story for me Dad and I wanted to buy a E type drop top for my first car and my mother stopped my dad and I. $1250 needed a top and a paint job otherwise perfect. I still hold that against her.