Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Sympathy for Dusty1

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 03:12 PM
|
Baja
Default Sympathy for Dusty1

Today I learned what sympathy for Dusty1 means, I smashed my left index finger hard with a hammer but fortunately I was wearing a work glove. My finger and nail is black and blue and the pain tonight is pretty bad. Nah, just a scratch really , but Scheiße does it hurt. Hope your's is healed up Dusty as you now have all my sympathy. It'll teach be to be careful when doing some shuttering carpentry in future. Scheiße.

Old 09-12-2014 | 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Man I hate that.
I've got one that will make you feel better.
About five or six years ago I had just replace the fence on my tablesaw. Upon assembly I over tightened the friction catch on the back of the fence. I did not realize that I had tightened it to the point that it was stripped out. I was just carrying on with my work, ripping down a bunch of black walnut. Suddenly the fence gave way and I had six fingers on my left hand. Like a lizard tongue

Old 09-12-2014 | 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

why does this not surprise me.....

Old 09-15-2014 | 03:39 PM
|
Baja
Wink

Not to be satisfied or deterred with a black/blue finger I soldiered on today

So there I was with the full extension of one of these
but perched on the top of a 12' high self supporting ladder wielding this machine like Zorro. All was going quite well apart from the 28C heat and my riggers boots kept getting stuck in the rungs 'cos I was backwards on the ladder whilst trimming up a 30' ancient yew tree in the front garden (the wife saying "do be careful" ......... eeerr, right. The main reason was it was resting against our overhead telephone wires and I didn't want all the hassle with France Telecom if it broke them. So I was relatively happy, although very tired, cutting away the branches when one fell and bounced on the ladder and one of the attached twigs poked me in the eye. So I uttered the usual string of expletives ............. eeeerrr ........... oh bu@@er that hurt or something like that but realised later it had bruised my actual eyeball which is now a nice bloodshot color and bl@@dy painful.

OK, so I'm a total accident prone plonker

Tomorrow I'm gonna work under the D2 on the transmission and transfer box ................ it's so much easier and safer

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 09-15-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2014 | 08:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Nice string of injuries. I love the black fingernail routine. It's best when you get that constant throb. The best approach is to grab your drill and get a hole through the nail so you can get on with the task at hand. You can also heat up a piece of wire or paper clip and melt a hole through it too.

Old 09-15-2014 | 09:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Not to be satisfied or deterred with a black/blue finger I soldiered on today

So there I was with the full extension of one of these RYOBI Expand-It Pole Pruner - YouTube but perched on the top of a 12' high self supporting ladder wielding this machine like Zorro. All was going quite well apart from the 28C heat and my riggers boots kept getting stuck in the rungs 'cos I was backwards on the ladder whilst trimming up a 30' ancient yew tree in the front garden (the wife saying "do be careful" ......... eeerr, right. The main reason was it was resting against our overhead telephone wires and I didn't want all the hassle with France Telecom if it broke them. So I was relatively happy, although very tired, cutting away the branches when one fell and bounced on the ladder and one of the attached twigs poked me in the eye. So I uttered the usual string of expletives ............. eeeerrr ........... oh bu@@er that hurt or something like that but realised later it had bruised my actual eyeball which is now a nice bloodshot color and bl@@dy painful.

OK, so I'm a total accident prone plonker

Tomorrow I'm gonna work under the D2 on the transmission and transfer box ................ it's so much easier and safer
Oh my gosh.. no!!! Take tomorrow off Offroad because you know.. things happen in threes You may want to have that eyeball looked at as, not to be the ultimate pessimist, I still have damage to my left eye from a corneal abrasion from 2004. I'm a total accident prone plonker too and I walked right into a lilac bush next to the patio late at night whilst putting furniture away before a big snowstorm (nothing like procrastinator central here). I ended up going to the doc (GP) the day after and would you believe he turned out the lights and waved a flashlight thingie in my face and said 'oh wow..... oh WOW...... OH WOW!!!' very loudly - loud enough that I laid there bewildered wondering what his next statement would be..... it turned out to be something about black lighting and college days and the largest corneal abrasion (smack dab in the center) that he had ever seen

He patched me up, had me come back a few days later and said that I may want to go to the eye doc after seeing him. I didn't and every so often when I'm awakened abruptly or driving in the car with the windows rolled down my vision in that eye gets blurry. Hurt like a son of a gun - watered for days and I had to wear a patch Rest up tomorrow, eh?

PS....Kenny G?

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 09-15-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2014 | 05:27 PM
|
Baja

Well I considered your good advice KD but being a real pig headed SOB I worked on the D2 today. Very tired though as I'd lost 80% of another nights sleep with both my finger throbbing (funny you don't notice it during the day though) and now my eye was painful and watering so went to bed circa 02.30am and couldn't sleep so got up at 05.30 and made some tea played around on the computer and then got showered and dressed about 06.30 still feeling the worse for wear. Got bored around 12.00 midday and started on the D2 looking at the transmission issues having washed down the underside the other day as I'd recommended to you. I finally decided the rear diff wasn't sounding quite right so drained the oil which was near perfect. There was a slight clank in the diff when I rotated the driveshaft. I then checked out the front diff and drained the oil, again near perfect but it sounded better so OK ticked off the list. Checked out the backlash on the transfer box LT230 and no issues there apart from oil seal leaks. So now to pull the rear diff and check it out whilst at the same time replace the pinion seal and hub O rings. I'll do the front axle seals and pinion seal also and then the input shaft and output shaft seals on the LT230. Whilst I'm doing all of this I'll replace the brake lines with SS Goodridge and rebuild the front and rear calipers with new piston seals. BUT, this will all have to wait until after the Angouleme race weekend. So as you can see I'm slightly unbalanced and drive myself hard to do these stupid chores when I should be wearing my slippers and watching the TV .............. yeah............... right, nah not me........... I actually enjoy messing with my trucks and keeps me out of mischief and away from the boss, her indoors I just tell her how much we are saving by me doing all this work I'm now getting pretty tired and time to turn in for tonight so I'll bid you good night and sweet dreams

Oh, I didn't go to the docs, he's a real plonker and doesn't run an appointment system, most here don't, so you can waste half a day just sitting in the waiting room until he deigns to allow audience with him. With three in front of you and the requisite 30 minutes gossip for each you can reckon it's 2 hours before you emerge from the damned place and €24 lighter all for nothing 'cos he'll just send you to the opthalmologist anyways.

Old 09-18-2014 | 04:21 PM
|
Baja

Much to everyones relief no doubt, I'll be offline for a few days whilst at Angouleme motor races. Out of harms way and cosseted in the luxury of the soft life watching old loons in old wrecks throwing them around a dangerous street circuit in complete abandon trying to kill themselves and the spectators. I'll post some mental photos next week.