Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Tent's what are you using

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts
Default Tent's what are you using

So I have always been the guy that buys the cheap tent never more than $50. I'm camping more and more now though and I'm leaning towards getting a good quality tent.

I really like the Kodiak tents but the weight is a killer, the thought of lugging around a 100 lbs of tent just sounds like a pain in the ****. So I'm leaning towards a higher quality 3 season type tent.

So what are you guys using what do you like about your set up and what do you want to change about it?

Going to check out a couple of reasonably priced used ones over the next few days by northface and REI (kingdom 6). So would really like opinions on those to brands as well.

I kicked around the roof top tent idea but don't want to chop up my rack or have to close up shop whenever I want to drive the LR3.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

I took a look at the Kodiak, REI and one of the outfitters tents at Cabela's today.

I really liked the Kodiak I like the set up and the quality feel of everything. I did not like the 100 lbs weight of it. The tent though was amazing and really a lot of tent for the money.(used)

The Cabela's tent was really nice as well but didn't feel as well made and seemed a bit lacking for the price.

The REI I looked at was a used one as well, but for a 3 season tent it had a great quality feel. I really liked some of the built in features with storage and the vestibule cover built into the rain fly for the one end of the tent.

For me it came down to the Kodiak and the REI for me. After some weighing the pro/cons of them we decided on the REI. For $100 for the tent that looked brand new with the REI ground cloth included it was a no brainer and it's sitting in the LR3.

Pictures to follow tomorrow when I set it up in the back yard.

Attached Thumbnails Tent's what are you using-827807.jpg  

Last edited by ArmyRover; 11-02-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Took about 15 min to set up I'm sure I'll get better at it....

So the REI Kingdom 6 comes in a nice pack with a sleeve in the middle to hold the poles, one side pouch for the main tent, another side pouch for the rain fly and footprint ground mat and finally to exterior pockets to hold the stakes and guy lines. Very nice neat little package that has plenty of room for everything without a huge fight to get it stowed. Another nice feature is the top carry handle and the 2 back pack straps.

I laid out the ground cover and then the main tent on top of it. It has a very nice set of heavy aluminium poles, that are shock corded with heavy billet aluminium hubs that joins it all together.Super easy to see where everything goes and line it all up.

Takes a bit of practice I think to get it up quickly and smoothly. Make sure to connect all the top hooks to the poles before you raise it. This thing is tall and it would be very difficult to do it after the fact.

The rain fly goes on easily and connects up nice and neat. I like that it has a vestibule off the one end to provide a shaded out of sight storage area for you gear or cooler. No floor in this area though. This one did not come with the optional tech garage but I think I will likely spend the money to add it for a nice area to sit in shade and store your gear out of the weather.

Inside it is extremely spacious and has a divider wall, for added privacy. I like all the built in pockets on the divider wall to store little items and small storage pockets above each door. The center is very high and I can easily stand up and walk around inside it. Plenty of space for the cots and whatever else you might need.

I know it was sold to me as a used tent but I found the packing papers still in the rain fly and tent roll. I can find no evidence of it being used ever. Either way I think it is a great tent that will last us for years.

Will be using it for the first time next weekend at Rovers on the Rocks. So mid 30's for temps wish me luck!

Attached Thumbnails Tent's what are you using-20171103_173303-1048x1862.jpg   Tent's what are you using-20171103_173311-1048x1862.jpg   Tent's what are you using-20171103_173648-1862x1048.jpg   Tent's what are you using-20171103_173743-1862x1048.jpg   Tent's what are you using-20171103_180514-1862x1048.jpg  

Tent's what are you using-20171103_180506-1862x1048.jpg   Tent's what are you using-20171103_180547-1048x1862.jpg  

Last edited by ArmyRover; 11-03-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Was the child already inside when you opened it up? If so, this is one reason I would never consider buying a used tents...lol.

But, seriously. Nice looking tent. I've been struggling with the same questions. Like the roof top cause they seem well contained and take up no room inside the vehicle. However, the climbing in and out doesn't make my old knees smile any, especially if you need to take a leak during the night. Borrowed a couple tents, when I took the grandkids north in August. The Colemen set up easily and zippers were smooth and held up nicely to a 5/9 year old.

Been keeping my eye on craigslist for a Colemen that fits the bill (a childless model of course).

Brian.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

I had a instant up before this, extremely handy to take up and put down until it came time to fold that thing up and get it back in the bag. Always a fight that involve cussing. The last time I packed it up a pole got bent lucky it had a no questions asked warranty.

For quick up and down I love the instant style tents, for ease of packing I prefer the older style.

The Kodiak in my mind was the best bang for the buck (aside from finding a deal like I did) if you don't mind lugging around a tent that weighs nearly what you do. But heavy duty poles and canvas duck aren't light items so you get what you pay for in quality and tonnage.

Kid was not included it just magically appears every time I set up a tent..

The roof top tent, is ideal from flip open/closed and go. Except when I want to hit a trail so I have to clear all the crap back out of the tent close it up, put the cover on etc so I can go. Decide you want to head out for a dinner in town, pack it up, get back late have to set it back up.. The flip side to that would be mount it on a trailer, but now you have that to store. Also some camping sites like at uwahrrie you won't be able to use a roof top tent as you have to walk in.

Everything is a trade off of some sort

Now how about sleeping bags lol, thinking I want something roomier than my Army issue mummy sack

Last edited by ArmyRover; 11-04-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

you will enjoy that tent. if you have the one pictured it is an older series of that model. they are both similar. you might have noticed extra tie out points you dont have lines and pegs for. they are needed for moderate to high winds. i suggest you add them if you camp where it is windy. another great thing about that tent is the back pack styled bag. it is actually well sized and makes actually getting the tent back in the bag easy

Old 11-08-2017, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

The one pictured is my tent, that was when I set it up in the back yard for some practice.

It seems to be a very nice tent and there is a ton of room in the bag. I think if I get the add on tech garage it will probably fit in the back pack as well.

Added a Coleman Big Game -5 bag so hopefully I'll be warm and cozy this weekend in PA.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:30 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I have been looking at the Crua tent. $150 off in November. Seems like a nice, warm and quiet inner room. It did really well on Kickstarter and is in its third iteration. Not a backpacking tent! $600 for a tent seems absurd until you price out the roof top tents. The videos are pretty impressive.
https://www.cruaoutdoors.com/collect...cts/crua-tri-1

Old 11-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

I wonder how much that thing weights?

My kindom did well for me at Rovers on the Rocks. I think Coleman is optimistic in the temp rating if their bags though. It got down to about 11 and the bag was only ok in my mind.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Found a review that says 53lbs

https://www.huntinggearguy.com/equip...d-tent-review/

If you left out the inner cocoon, should be much lighter. Not sure about the cooler in summer claim, I guess prevents some of the heat from direct sun.

11 degrees is cold....I can’t do the mummy bag thing. That’s why I was thinking about the insulated room. Maybe I should just be cheap and sew Velcro on six moving blankets

Last edited by Geo; 11-16-2017 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Updated weight and added review link

Quick Reply: Tent's what are you using