Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Texting

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013 | 10:51 AM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Texting

A lady was in front of me last night at a stop light TEXTING she kept creeping up. A car in front of here turned right on red ( She is still texting - I could see her) So she pulls up to line stops, and takes off I look left and take off. she stops in the center of traffic because she see a car coming from her left to turn right. The light is green by now so after looking left and taking off I look forward and BAM I hit her in the back end. She jumps out of her van phone in hand and asks me if I am allright. " yes I am allright are you?" She replied yes and apologized to me and says should I call 911? " NO they will not like you if you do that " I say "I will look up police number" so she proceeds to call 911... Yes she did!. They tell her to buzz off. The police come after I call the proper number and fill out a report.
I'm thinking I'm going to be paying for her stupidity. and distracted inattention.
Brush bar against the hood, Headlamp washers broken off, Hood buckled.
Not sure what else yet.
People - Don't Text and Drive
Please !!!

And don't stop after pulling out in the middle of the cross lane.

Am I in the wrong here ???

Old 12-12-2013 | 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

what's that? sorry, I missed it.. I was trying to drive while reading this, on my tiny phone...

Old 12-12-2013 | 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately in most states if you run into the back of someone you are at fault, unless there is evidence that they intended to cause the accident.

Old 12-12-2013 | 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

You are not in the wrong, by being peed. I see it all the time. I even got on to a fella, one time. he had 2 kids in car seats in the back and was doing the slow roll right on red just using his periphery and doing as the cars, in front of him, because his head was fixed on his texting. I was oncoming at the cross light. I had to lock them up and slide in behind him, pointing towards his lane of traffic. I wanted to pinch his head off.
but yeah, you will be at fault for her stupidity.. sorry to hear that

Last edited by dusty1; 12-12-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2013 | 11:57 AM
|
Rock Crawling

My only regret is I didn't stomp her phone to bits. Just to make a point.
Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I already knew I was going to get stuck with being the fault.Just wish I had a pic of her texting in the car.

After typing this I realized that Texting is not a word in spell check. Go figure

Old 12-12-2013 | 01:02 PM
Baja

Yes, she shouldn't have been texting, but the way I read it she started to cross the intersection after the light changed, thought someone was about to run the light, stopped and you hit her. Sounds like you were at fault.
I'm curious who's fault it would be if she stopped suddenly because a kid darted in front of her car and she stopped to keep from running over them.

Old 12-12-2013 | 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by antichrist
Yes, she shouldn't have been texting, but the way I read it she started to cross the intersection after the light changed, thought someone was about to run the light, stopped and you hit her. Sounds like you were at fault.
I'm curious who's fault it would be if she stopped suddenly because a kid darted in front of her car and she stopped to keep from running over them.
the kid's.....duh

Old 12-12-2013 | 05:19 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by antichrist
The light was green when she took off there was a car turning right from the left no one running the light no kids just her driving distracted. sitting ou in the cross lane stopped
Are you defending her texting while driving?

Old 12-13-2013 | 07:40 AM
Baja

you plate number should be your phone number also, that way you can call them and tell the hang up and drive.

they always have the phone in there right hand so that side is completely blind to them and a butt or coffee in the other.

NY city made it hand free only like 10-years ago, i don't know why everyone else didn't follow.

Last edited by drowssap; 12-13-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-13-2013 | 08:53 AM
Camel Trophy

I don't think anyone is defending texting while driving. Tom's point is whether she stopped suddenly due to inattention due to texting or because a bunny rabbit darted in front of her, it doesn't matter. The simple fact is she stopped suddenly and you didn't. But you already know that. It totally sucks, I get that. I also love the people that drive with dogs in their laps. WTF are you kidding me!?