Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

These pop up ads are really a PIA!!!!!! WTF????

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry These pop up ads are really a PIA!!!!!! WTF????

I've been visiting, using, and contributing to this forum for four or five years now..... WTF is going on with these pop up ads that barge in when I'm typing or trying to read something!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's been happening for a while now.... annoying as hell and damn rude..... these pop up ads are so flipping bad that sometimes I just leave the forum and refer to other sources or forums.... these pop up ads really P me O and IMO they are ruining this forum.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

That's how the bills get paid. Forums either rely on user donations or ad revenue to stay online. Pick your poison.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by twaszak
I've been visiting, using, and contributing to this forum for four or five years now..... WTF is going on with these pop up ads that barge in when I'm typing or trying to read something!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's been happening for a while now.... annoying as hell and damn rude..... these pop up ads are so flipping bad that sometimes I just leave the forum and refer to other sources or forums.... these pop up ads really P me O and IMO they are ruining this forum.
Adblock plus is your friend - no pop ups TF

Old 10-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Mudding
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fishEH
That's how the bills get paid. Forums either rely on user donations or ad revenue to stay online. Pick your poison.
Either of the following must be true for you:
1) you are patient enough to not be bothered by a new pop-up ad every 30 - 60 -120 seconds (no exaggeration)**, that interrupts your reading and typing as you are trying review and/or contribute to the forum; or
2) your pop-up ad experience on this forum is nothing like mine; or
3) The bills you refer to in your response to my post are your own LOL

As for having to "pick your poison": there's no reason this or any other popular forum cannot generate a very profitable revenue from advertisements, banners, ads and pop-up ads in such a way that does not irritate the forum member or interfere with his/her experience using/visiting the forum etc.
I think most people would agree that the way to increase ad revenue isn't to create an unpleasant member experience that actually causes the member/me to end his/my forum sessions prematurely and causes him/me to change his/my forum visiting habits from "daily/frequently" to "only when I need to/every few months".

Cheers,

Thomas

P.S. ** I've noticed since I posted my gripe that my pop-up ad experience on this forum has improved dramatically. Fewer pop-up ads with much longer intervals. I hope it stays that way.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Adblock plus is your friend - no pop ups TF
Thanks for the suggestion.... I'll check that out...

Old 10-05-2014, 03:06 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twaszak
Thanks for the suggestion.... I'll check that out...

that's a good idea because I don't have any issues with this forum. Once in a blue moon an ad will pop up over someone's thread making it difficult to read, but other than that, nada. I would say it has been a good experience.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by catandmouse
that's a good idea because I don't have any issues with this forum. Once in a blue moon an ad will pop up over someone's thread making it difficult to read, but other than that, nada. I would say it has been a good experience.
thanks for your comment...

yes I'm definitely going to look into that because I just started getting slammed with the pop-ups again....

makes me wonder if my pop-up woes are in part related to my using safari on my ipad to access the forum.... hmmm....

The odd thing is that I'm only attacked by pop-up ads when I visit this forum (always signed in etc). No problems anywhere else / website / forum....

Cheers,

Thomas

Old 10-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

I use adblocker plus, does a good job

Old 10-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only get them when I'm viewing the site via a mobile device. Maybe your iPad is viewing the mobile version? And yes they are a pain on the mobile.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

They also do Adblock plus for mobile devices

https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install

Quick Reply: These pop up ads are really a PIA!!!!!! WTF????