Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Too funny for words .............. inevitable

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015 | 07:01 AM
|
Baja
Default Too funny for words .............. inevitable

This is too funny for words to describe, it was inevitable and a shame they were 'captured'.

Volkswagen admits "defeat device" used to circumvent US emissions tests

If you believe the planet is affected by transport it's a political delusion and represents 0.015% of emissions affecting climate change including aircraft ............. soooo .............. why spend $$$$$$$$$$$billions even trying

Old 09-22-2015 | 07:04 AM
Baja

Isnt that nice

Old 09-23-2015 | 01:03 PM
TReK

Nitrogen Oxide or NOx is a main ingredient in smog. The US has gone a very long way to reduce smog in major urban areas. I'm old enough to remember when you couldn't see the Empire State Building above the 40th floor thanks to smog. I also remember was an absolute mess Los Angeles was thanks to NOx. Frankly, this is serious and claiming it's all a political delusion is nonsense. Period. What VW did was criminal and they need to be punished accordingly.

Old 09-24-2015 | 03:19 AM
|
Baja

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Nitrogen Oxide or NOx is a main ingredient in smog. The US has gone a very long way to reduce smog in major urban areas. I'm old enough to remember when you couldn't see the Empire State Building above the 40th floor thanks to smog. I also remember was an absolute mess Los Angeles was thanks to NOx. Frankly, this is serious and claiming it's all a political delusion is nonsense. Period. What VW did was criminal and they need to be punished accordingly.
Hi Paul

I disagree, to say smog is all transport related is rubbish, the transport contribution is infinitesimally tiny compared to industrial and domestic outputs of NOx, hence the blanket of smogs in the 1950's which I clearly remember.

Anyone who believes this software cheating is unique to VW is deluded, they are all at it, Ford, Mercedes, BMW, GM, etc, etc the whole lot. How can anyone double the power output over years but halve emissions................... by magic , IMO it's the trust factor that is damaging, NOT the act, if these car companies are deceiving people how much more written in the specs is fantasy, we know the claimes power and torque is rubbish, now the emissions is rubbish, what next? the NCAP crash ratings. These companies, like politicians and governments, are unregulated in truth, money = power = influence, politicians are just the pawns in truth, the puppets, manipulated by the corporations and cash backhanders plus favors. Paul I think you are insighted but too trusting of human nature, greed rules worldwide.

Old 09-24-2015 | 06:18 PM
|
Baja

As I stated earlier, the plot thickens, most if not all large auto manufacturers are now under investigation in europe, and no doubt the US, for the same cheating on emissions. Hmmm, how did I 'guess' it wouldn't be unique to VW ............... I'll watch this saga unfold with 'tongue in cheek' interest. Like all autos, you cannot extract blood from a stone or, to wit, larger, faster cars and additional BHP=power without additional emissions and compromising economy ......... unless you're a real magician. ............. this was inevitable where software trickery rules ............... shades of Formula 1 methinks.

Old 09-25-2015 | 11:16 AM
TReK

NOx emissions in the EU -share of emissions by sector group, 2011

The pie chart below shows that road transport and energy production are the greatest sources of NOx emissions in the EU during 2011.

Chart-share-of-emissions-by-sector-group-2011

Source - European Union emission inventory report 1990–2011 under the UNECE Convention on Long-range Trans-boundary Air Pollution (LRTAP)

- See more at: Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) Pollution - Health Issues - Icopal

Since I am unable to reproduce the pie chart mentioned in the above study, the percentages break down as follows.

Sources of NOx

40% from road transportation (cars, trucks, buses, ect.)

14% from commercial institutions and households

13% energy use in industry

21% energy production and distribution

2% agricultural

3% industrial processes

7% non road transportation

waste and solvent use amounted to less than 1% in each area

Another report states:

Ozone Fact Sheet | Facts About SCR

"Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) Facts

Nitrogen oxides are a major contributor to ozone production and smog.

• Diesel engines produce nearly 20% of the total NOx in outdoor air and 26% of the total NOx from on-road sources"

Now I know, well in advance that your response will be to disagree with these studies so at this point, I'm going to leave the conversation where it is and agree with you regarding the likelihood that VW won't be the only auto manufacturer to behave in this criminal manner.

Old 09-25-2015 | 01:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm not sure if my lack of reaction to this news is cynicism or not but since the story broke I've been struggling to understand why its a big deal. (To clarify, because I assume that all of the manufactures are actively engaged in this behavior)

Ever motorcycle I've ever owned with Fuel injection was mapped to be way too lean in the RPM rev range where the regulating body would test the emissions output of the engine during certification. Every single bike. (I've purchased 10 fuel injected bikes over the years).

There's a whole industry out there in restoring the flat spot in performance due to new motorcycles being leaned out in order to pass emissions. Or, you can get the dealer to remap you to the "track only" fuel map which also rectifies the hole in your mapping.

I'm not sure how the VW case is that much different. The test conducted to measure emissions is not conducted under "real world driving conditions". If the test were more representative of real world driving then the employment of different algorithms to reduce or improve emissions based off of real world situation could also be measured.

Old 09-26-2015 | 11:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Here you go Paul...

Old 09-26-2015 | 05:26 PM
|
Baja
Old 09-26-2015 | 05:45 PM
|
Baja

I give up, I've read so much BS ranging from the UK, US and EU governments and guess, none of the 'FACTS' even tally. The 'estimates' for costs of GHG's in the US range from $5.5 to $73, WTF, that's not estimates that's pure guesswork. There seems that there isn't any truly independent reports on all of this rubbish no matter where you read everyone has a vested interest or angle. To believe anything written by the EU in Brussels is well known as BS as they have vested interests. Again it's down to corporations and money, the greedy vs the gullible. I give up on this one as I cannot be bothered to argue my point as there are too many yay or nay sayers, and to be perfectly honest, at my age I don't give a toss whether the planet goes into meltdown in 5, 10 or 20 years time as there are so many other 'crusades' for whatever being portrayed by the governments and media at present so it's hard to show concern for anything from climate change to assisted suicide, who cares in the final analysis.

Quick Reply: Too funny for words .............. inevitable