Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Truly Pissed........

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

My best deal ever with a car dealership was Moritz Chevy up near Arlington, TX. They had an 08 Hummer H3 Alpha with an ARB Bumper, Warn Winch, and low miles for 17.9K, at the time I had an 08 F150 FX4 with a road armor front bumper and Raptor rims/tires, but I just never used it like I should have and needed an SUV instead.

I emailed them (thru Autotrader) and had a wild proposition for them. I did my research and both vehicles had almost the same $$$$$ value. I replied with I'm interested in your Hummer H3 Alpha and would like to trade you keys for keys for my 08 Ford F150 FX4. I sent it never expecting to hear back from them.

Within 15min I had a reply back from a guy named David who just asked for my VIN # and a few pictures. I sent it all to him expecting to hear okay we'll take your trade in plus 5K or something like that. Instead I got okay it's a deal, keys for keys, and when can I be there......... I replied back with I could be there first thing in the morning.

I called into work, jumped in my Ford F150, drove up to Arlington, TX, saw the H3 Alpha sitting there (unlike my last experience lol) and it looked amazing. It was fully detailed inside and out with a full tank of gas. I took it for a test drive, and it was great. He just asked me for my keys, they never opened the doors, ran my truck, drove my truck or anything. The salesman had my keys with him throughout the entire deal. I said I'll take it, so I went into a room signed the paperwork on a desk with a built in LCD, and all I paid was for the state inspection and tag. I thought I'd have to pay the tax, but they had it down as a 100% dead even swap so there was technically no sale I guess. He handed me two sets of keys (and said I just had the guys program you a second remote and cut you a new key so you and your wife both have a set of keys). He walked me out to my H3 Alpha and said be safe and let us know when you make it back to Beaumont, TX Frank. I said thank you, and as I left I saw him finally get in my truck and drive it around to the back. I was on site maybe 15min if that and on my way.

While I was onsite he explained why they did the deal. He said although both of these vehicles get the exact same MPG, people see a Hummer and think gas hog, vs they see and F150 and think big n strong like TX. It sounded cheesy, but it also made sense. He said they sell used pickups like mine in 2 days or less vs that H3 they had for nearly a month.

I emailed him that I got home safely and he actually kept in contact for several months asking me how the H3 Alpha was doing. Like he said my truck was sold in a day and a half and they honestly only marked it up 500.00.

I've bought tons of vehicles and I've also tried to buy several that slipped thru the cracks. That dealer was just not professional at all with the 04 D2 vs the H3 Alpha. Oh and Moritz never asked for a deposit. When I said I was coming they took my word for it. The people with the 04 basically called me a liar until I showed up. For a small car lot they did have some nice quality cars, but the way they run their business especially toward out of town sales = NEEDS MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT!!!

I was only interested in that particular color, setup, and off road goodies on that 04 D2. I really don't need another D2, but at the same time I was basically getting 2K worth of bumper/winch/lights for free which is still hard to swallow.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

What a bunch of morons.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Yep exactly!