Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Trunk or Treat, Tricks, Time and Temptation

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No kidding?

[QUOTEAnd I never in a million years thought that I’d be giving a lesson in trick or treating to a man from South Africa, but here goes:
There is some silliness around Christmas out there but only in the shopping malls.

‘Straddling the line between fall and winter, plenty and paucity, life and death, Halloween is a time of celebration and superstition. It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts.’
How about that - and now I wonder when the ex-celtic Irish and Scots forgot about this as it is not happening presently as far as I know.

..to some, like the farmer and the family that carve the pumpkin, the cycle of seed to fruition represents life.
Which is revered by a display of some darker force? I get it, it is the thesis and anti-thesis.....

Hopefully you have supported your local farmer

Oh, he was paid already by the store chain, was he not?

You can even roast the pumpkin seeds after a good wash, salt them and have them for a snack.
Now THAT makes a lot of sense at least.

If your Rover is still parked out front you could decorate it with cobwebs (if you don’t have enough building up already)

And for god sake, please don’t make them sing a song. They will be traumatized for life.

A song for a sweet? I think that sounds fair.

Devil’s night? That’s a whole ‘nother story..
What? Another one? And I'd always thought the devil was like Santa Claus - your pappy or grandpappy in disguise.

[/QUOTE]

What an edification it was for me, thank you my lady

Old 10-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Bah humbug, it's all mumbo jumbo and ridiculous superstitions carried on by the shop vendors just to make a few dollars often out of those who can least afford it. That also goes for Xmas IMO. Think how much dosh is wasted on useless presents, food and drink at Xmas. IMO it's only good for young kids who can appreciate the excitement and still believe in Father Christmas. As for Halloween it's pagan superstition and mumbo jumbo which should have been 'put to bed' centuries ago.

As a matter of interest, when does the retail trade in the US start to crank up the Xmas sales? here and in the UK it seems to start about the beginning of October. That's three months of peddling garbage just for a 1 day event which is meaningless to the vast majority and totally lost on me in any event.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 10-29-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteroMan
[QUOTEAnd I never in a million years thought that I’d be giving a lesson in trick or treating to a man from South Africa, but here goes:
There is some silliness around Christmas out there but only in the shopping malls.

‘Straddling the line between fall and winter, plenty and paucity, life and death, Halloween is a time of celebration and superstition. It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts.’
How about that - and now I wonder when the ex-celtic Irish and Scots forgot about this as it is not happening presently as far as I know.

..to some, like the farmer and the family that carve the pumpkin, the cycle of seed to fruition represents life.
Which is revered by a display of some darker force? I get it, it is the thesis and anti-thesis.....

Hopefully you have supported your local farmer

Oh, he was paid already by the store chain, was he not?

You can even roast the pumpkin seeds after a good wash, salt them and have them for a snack.
Now THAT makes a lot of sense at least.

If your Rover is still parked out front you could decorate it with cobwebs (if you don’t have enough building up already)

And for god sake, please don’t make them sing a song. They will be traumatized for life.

A song for a sweet? I think that sounds fair.

Devil’s night? That’s a whole ‘nother story..
What? Another one? And I'd always thought the devil was like Santa Claus - your pappy or grandpappy in disguise.

What an edification it was for me, thank you my lady [/QUOTE]

You're quite welcome Mr. Montero. Oh dear.. I do hope that elusive spider didn't crawl into your ear as you were jimmying around with your Rover. It appears as if your hearing has been affected and perhaps your sight. Were you shouting?... What beeeeeeg blue letters you have.

You made some very good points here. I shall take them into account, thank you.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Senormac
Our kids are all grown and moved out so we don't "trick or treat" ever, but being married to a costume designer I have found that wearing something for parties, holidays or any number of other special event is part of the deal. And really.....I'm pretty agreeable about the whole thing.

I think the kids who knock on your door are amused by you wearing a costume just as much as you can be by their costumes.

Anyways... this is a few years ago.... Mrs. Senormac had me completely Uncle Festerized.... with bald head rubber cap too. I had a full head of hair under that thing
She made the robe and did the make up also. She of course played the part of Morticia and made her dress.

lol.. nice pics Senormac. Thanks for sharing. I'd say that your wife is very creative!!!

Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Bah humbug, it's all mumbo jumbo and ridiculous superstitions carried on by the shop vendors just to make a few dollars often out of those who can least afford it. That also goes for Xmas IMO. Think how much dosh is wasted on useless presents, food and drink at Xmas. IMO it's only good for young kids who can appreciate the excitement and still believe in Father Christmas. As for Halloween it's pagan superstition and mumbo jumbo which should have been 'put to bed' centuries ago.

As a matter of interest, when does the retail trade in the US start to crank up the Xmas sales? here and in the UK it seems to start about the beginning of October. That's three months of peddling garbage just for a 1 day event which is meaningless to the vast majority and totally lost on me in any event.
HA! And a Merry Christmas to you too Offroad! I wouldn't expect any less of an answer from you I still haven't forgotten our conversation regarding Valentine's Day No choccies for Valentines, no choccies for Halloween and NOW no choccies for Christmas?!? What is the world coming to? Ba Humbug! I bet you wouldn't pass up on chocolates if Slabrat gave you some.. he knows where to get the good'uns

Old 10-29-2014, 10:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance

c'mon offroad..... it's an OPPORTUNITY !! It's an opportunity to share some time with loved ones. To spend some bucks on a ham, and some pies, and some goodies, and some spirits (liquid kinds), and some gifts, and laugh and dance and eat and talk and share. Halloween not so much for us.... but Christmas especially YES !! It's an opportunity to love the people who are closest to you. And the only way to do that is with a gathering. A party if you will.

Y'know.... the Bible is full of parties. Yea, really. Do you know how many festivals God instituted for the Jews ? A whole bunch !! It's not all about fire and brimstone, hell and damnation..... it's about cuttin loose, sharing, laughing, dancing and love !!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by landlover_1
lol.. nice pics Senormac. Thanks for sharing. I'd say that your wife is very creative!!!
One year, we were pirates
Thats me sportin my farmer tan

Old 10-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grandmother, and what...

[QUOTE ...What beeeeeeg blue letters you have![/QUOTE]

No, I was not shouting, it's because my eyes are so bad my child...

Old 10-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

<<<@!1!@>>>

No, I was not shouting, it's because my eyes are so bad my child...[/QUOTE]

Hopefully your eyes aren't so bad that you can't see this Happy Devil's Night..........................................

Old 10-31-2014, 08:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope everyone has a great Halloween weekend... husband and I are slacking this year... haven't even gotten our costumes figured out yet! Any ideas??? for couple costume??

Quick Reply: Trunk or Treat, Tricks, Time and Temptation