Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

What's in your garage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default What's in your garage?

Got home last night after being on holiday for a few weeks and found my beloved Bertha sitting in the driveway with a flat tire. I've been meaning to pick up an air compressor - one that I can use with air tools and fill the tires. Anyone have any recommendations? What do you guys use?

Old 01-31-2018, 04:24 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Got home last night after being on holiday for a few weeks and found my beloved Bertha sitting in the driveway with a flat tire. I've been meaning to pick up an air compressor - one that I can use with air tools and fill the tires. Anyone have any recommendations? What do you guys use?
If I were you KD, remove the offending wheel, mix up 50/50 washing up liquid and water, about a quarter pint, pump the tire up to around 50psi and spread the prepared liquid around the tire with a clean old 2" soft paint brush paying particular attention to the sidewalls and bead and also the valve stem and valve to see if any bubbles appear, crappy job to do but its the only way I know for testing for any air leaks. If there are any leaks take it to a tire shop but if it's the valve just change it for another new one.

Alu wheels also suffer leaks after many years of use due to a breakdown of the tire bead area and sometimes the alu becomes porous.

I'm sure the 'ole man' will help you remove the wheel and 'assist' you if you ask him nicely ............. try some of the feminine charm routine eh, works wonders the 'helpless' woman thing

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 01-31-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Hand pump OK for the tires but needed more. When my vertical Craftsman Pro pooped the bed I downgraded Might have to pause during blow jobs to get the pressure back up. My 1/2 impact works fine if not run for too long and cut off disc on a angle grinder same. It's quiet, works and takes up little space.

Last edited by number9; 02-01-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I'm sure the 'ole man' will help you remove the wheel and 'assist' you if you ask him nicely ............. try some of the feminine charm routine eh, works wonders the 'helpless' woman thing
erm.. haha.. don't think that's going to happen - hasn't worked for me yet!
I must be doing something very, very wrong....

Old 02-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by number9
Hand pump OK for the tires but needed more.
Yeah, did that once - it was pretty funny. Don't think that will work this time around as the seal is pretty much shot. Thanks for the input on the sound. I'll keep at it and see if I can find something that will be quiet and get the job done.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I have a 26 year old Craftsman 33 gallon compressor

Old 02-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I’ve got a Central Pneumatic 150psi 6gal 1.5hp air compressor from Harbor Freight for $99. It’s good for small shop jobs (airing up tires, using pneumatic tools) but wish I had one with a bigger air storage tank.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi KD

I bought a 4hp twin cylinder 100 litre Pro-Air compressor about 10-12 years ago, it gets worked to death using a selection of air tools and inflating tires etc but IMHO it's about double your needs unless you use air tools. You would be better off with something like Juke179 has which is adequate for your stated needs.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

30 year old craftsman, 10 gallon. Works fine for airing up tires. I'm forunate, do all my big air work...at work. Don't need to go crazy, getting to big of compressor, to just air up tires.

Brian.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey thanks - I appreciate the suggestions. I'm mainly looking for one to do odd jobs around the house and to blow things up (tires) so nothing professional needed.

I'm kind of stupid like that and like to overpay for things I don't need or will ever use. That's me.. money thrower - would you like another $20? Sure..ok.. it has extra bells and whistles? Throw another $40 at it.. Oh? I can attach a hose at the back end for easy access? GREAT!!!!!! Let's do it - here's $2000 and out the door it goes.

I'm awake right now because I just had a nightmare that I was driving into a tornado. Of course my sister was driving...I was a mere passenger? Don't know what that says about me. I woke up with all covers kicked off, socks on (hey - don't judge, it's cold here), and I couldn't breathe. Just lovely.....

Quick Reply: What's in your garage?