Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Where's Tom?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 02:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Where's Tom?

Where the heck is Tom hiding? New baby/house and no Land Rover fun?

Old 01-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

He's not here..........

Old 01-26-2017, 01:17 PM
Camel Trophy

I hate to say it but I noticed...... miss reading his cryptic fat fingered posts. They where like word puzzles written in a foreign language. I'd have to hit the hookah a couple of times to understand the deeper meaning.

Hey, still mulling over that semi-local (3 hours one way) 83 944 for $1500...... it's burning a (another) hole in my pea brain. Motor parts aint that expensive. The Satty was a non-runner so it's a rinse repeat on getting the thing into the pole barn, that and it's a long ways away to have it towed here. Now's the time to have a project. I might just pick up a busted iPhone instead, I can toss it in my pocket to get it here....... I need something to do, going crazy already.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

As a former Rover owner, figured you had the Triple A for the free tow!

If your board, come on down......I like cheap labor!

My laptop took a digger last evening, couple hundred in the hole now myself......no fixing this one!

Old 01-26-2017, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

I pm'd him the other day to see how he was doing haven't heard a peep

Old 01-26-2017, 08:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
As a former Rover owner, figured you had the Triple A for the free tow!

If your board, come on down......I like cheap labor!

My laptop took a digger last evening, couple hundred in the hole now myself......no fixing this one!
I'm cheap labor but I make a better cheap date. Probably the hard drive on the laptop no?

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I pm'd him the other day to see how he was doing haven't heard a peep
Thanks for that. Hope he's just too busy which I'm sure he is.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I hate to say it but I noticed...... miss reading his cryptic fat fingered posts. They where like word puzzles written in a foreign language. I'd have to hit the hookah a couple of times to understand the deeper meaning.

Hey, still mulling over that semi-local (3 hours one way) 83 944 for $1500...... it's burning a (another) hole in my pea brain. Motor parts aint that expensive. The Satty was a non-runner so it's a rinse repeat on getting the thing into the pole barn, that and it's a long ways away to have it towed here. Now's the time to have a project. I might just pick up a busted iPhone instead, I can toss it in my pocket to get it here....... I need something to do, going crazy already.
44's are great to drive...especially for the money. Probably going to need some head work, if it is the one with a broken timing belt. But, parts are readily available for these cars...and doing the belt is simple. Nice color, though. Had a 44 years ago and it just couldn't be beat, funny-wise, on twisty roads...good time for sure. They're just so nimble feeling. Sure...they aren't no rocket...but they keep you glued to the seat on the right roads.

Brian.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm well read on the 944 and very knowledgeable concerning interference engines. Bent valves would be the single most obvious reason for the fire sale asking price (parts car). What isn't known or stated by the seller is wether any con-rods took a hit. They probably don't know. A motor rebuild kit without rods or slugs is near $900. Used rods and slugs are another $300 not including rings $183. Timing kits are wide but start at around $137. Not considering the logistics and the current asking price that pretty much puts it above current market value for an early non-turbo. That's without any other items needing replacement like interior plastics, shocks & struts, wheel bearings, carrier bearings, driveline assembly, clutch/pp, machining, etc., blah, blah, blah. Being as this would be a turn and burn project I have to consider worse case. I've sent the seller an email, we'll see what they say.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

they will probably be ecstatic to have a offer on a turd brown 944

That being said they are a ton of fun to drive, if you are planning turn and burn I would suggest you never really drive it.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Camel Trophy

No doubt but not that ecstatic because they haven't answered my second set of questions yet.....

On Jan 27, 2017, at 4:31 PM, craigslist 5947770740 <vcgfn-5947770740@sale.craigslist.org> wrote:

The head has not been removed. The odometer didn't work. Bad gear suspected in it. I just never got around to pulling the cluster to replace the $12 nylon gear.

Everything was in working order when the timing belt went, even the A/C
Not very convincing about the full monty on if it's worth taking the "parts car" nameplate off it yet.

So I asked them what is the odometer reading currently show and was the car moving when the belt let go...... haven't heard a thing yet, probably tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Where's Tom?