Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Where's Tom?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 10:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

It's metallic poop color. Special poo color makes it look a little runnier..... like tunafish the day after when you find out it was like two weeks old in the refrigerator open and mixed with mayo color. Probably the fastest it will ever go....... which is pretty darn fast.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
As a former Rover owner, figured you had the Triple A for the free tow!
I used it twice in eight years, once for the fuel pump and once for the starter and both times it was within five miles of the home Q. I used a bag phone more often in a AMC CJ7 than I ever used AAA. Usually it was to call my ex-wife to bring me a tool or part. I always kept a spare coil, cap, rotor, points and starter relay. My corn-binders never broke down like the trusty AMC. Heck, I could still get genuine Harvester parts well into the late 90's. That's when I fell in love with fuel injected Rovers, little did I know.......

Old 01-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Can't believe you just used the term 'fell in love'.......Oh my, you are easy!

Binder's....Typically a hodge podge of parts assembled through other makes,
but of course that depends on how early or late the model was........I believe
my 68 was 99% Binder......

What's wrong with metallic poop? As a child, you were fascinated by it!! LOL!!

Old 01-28-2017, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,499 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Metallic poop makes me think you are drinking to much Goldschläger

Old 01-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
Can't believe you just used the term 'fell in love'.......Oh my, you are easy!

Binder's....Typically a hodge podge of parts assembled through other makes,
but of course that depends on how early or late the model was........I believe
my 68 was 99% Binder......

What's wrong with metallic poop? As a child, you were fascinated by it!! LOL!!
The 64 was IH parts, the 69 was bit of everybody but mostly IH. Both had IH's high nickel content blocks, aint no doubt about that. Had the heads and deck milled on the 266 V8, about busted the tooling. As a matter of fact it was D&D who did the milling for me........ how bout THAT! Right down the road from my house. I knew they where into MG's then. Didn't know anything about the Rover motor until I tossed my gutted engine at em.

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Metallic poop makes me think you are drinking to much Goldschläger
There was a day when I did just that and oh man, I could hear a tinkling sound like little fairy's dancing all about. Tooty dust.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,185 Likes on 849 Posts

Was all ready to drop my 4.6 off at Mark's (D&D) yesterday, but after dissassemlbing the engine here at home...it became apparent, pretty quickly, that the block was toast from overheating. Crank caps would not even come out of the block. Rod bearings were a tortured gold color with grooves cut like the Rio Grand through them. A few of the pistons were trash too. I'm not sure what the nice couple that sold us this thing dumped in the engine...to keep it quiet enough to sell...but whatever it was...it worked pretty well. And that explains why things got so much worse after changing oil.

Anyhow, back to the Porsche color. Guy down the road has a 44 that brown color and it looks pretty good, actually I thought it might be his, but the Flint township address and picture don't support. My first 944 was brown, mocha brown (deep, dark coffee ground color), guy I bought it from kept calling the car black...I was like...hate to tell you...but you haven't been driving a black Porsche...lol.

Brian.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Default This is what "back in black" looks like...

Old blacky with her older sister, old red. She's number 215 made, in 78 (first model year of the 928). The engineering of these cars makes the LR look like they were engineered by retards. I'd jump in either one of these cars and drive to Alaska...and they are nearly 40 years old...but I sweat bullets just driving my LR to work...lol.

Can't wait for them to fill the garage again...miss them dearly.

Question...who is this Tom we are looking for anyway?

Brian.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Default A few spray bombs and some mudder tires...

And metallic brown could look like this...

Brian.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Camel Trophy

Tom is a Moderator who answered a ton of questions, very involved in his hobby and East Coast clubs and events. He has a few very long build threads on his Disco, his adventure trailer and his 67 Firebird. Great guy, he'd have your back no matter what. Just aware that he's not been around in a while and I hope he's all right. He would have posted here normally by now. Everybody's priorities change, just wondering how he's coming along. It wouldn't be normal for me not to ask you know?

I'm not surprised about your block, it's too bad really. I've been using the same machine shop for 10 years and have amassed a large eyes wide open opinion on the Rover V8. I can't believe they got away with it but they have. It is a true turd in the punchbowl of an otherwise capable off road machine. The saving grace is the LT230 and thats about it. If I where you I'd strongly consider an LS swap, probably less costly in the long run if you plan on keeping your Rover around.

Last edited by ihscouts; 01-29-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:21 PM
Camel Trophy

The dude with the "parts car" 944 didn't think my questions of; "How many miles on the odometer and was the car moving when the belt came off?" are important enough with me being three hours away. Bye, bye turd brown 944.... sorry you got stuck with a turd owner.

Quick Reply: Where's Tom?