Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

why did you get a rover

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why did you get a rover

I have read a lot of peoples posts on the reasons they hate rovers and the many things bad about them so lets do a happy post why did you buy one
what are your most favorite quality's please add year and type of rover

Old 10-14-2011, 05:04 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have always loved British autos and always wanted a Land Rover.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
I have always loved British autos and always wanted a Land Rover.
ahh but what part of the land rover drew you in surely some part of their charm raises above every other car ?

Last edited by skezixx; 10-14-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Mudding

We picked up our Disco so we can go further out into the sticks than we could get with our 4-motion Passast SW while camping and exploring. There's tons of places you can go in CA to get away from the crowds and all it requires is a little sense of adventure, some common sense and more ground clearance than your average auto.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wanted a land cruiser. wife wanted and LOVED the way discovery's look, as do i.
in the end we decided we'd rather drive a vehicle we 'love' that breaks all the time, rather than a vehicle that will rarely break, but we just 'like'. it's all about the passion. i'm rather enjoying getting my hands dirty in a car again. very pleased with the purchase and can't wait to set this bad boy up for some adventure.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skezixx
ahh but what part of the land rover drew you in surely some part of their charm raises above every other car ?
I like odd ball autos(odd ball according to most Americans). I've owned Mercedes, VW, BMW, MG, Citroen, Yugo, GMT, Renault. I wanted a Land Rover because it fit the criteria I looked for in an auto. Well built and different(again, according to American standards). Same reason I want a Jaguar(which I hope to have in a year or so).

Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I've wanted one ever since I was a kid watching Mutual of Omaha on Sundays and seeing the weird square trucks with the tire on the hood going anywhere they wanted.
After several attempts I bought my one owner on the wrong side of town, it has been the best auto decision I have ever made.
I like the go anywhere, the looks and the amount of accessories that you can buy.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Bought a 97 Disco 1 seven years ago as my middle aged folly and toy because LR's exuded exploration, adventure, and faraway safari exoticism to my dull, mundane, working class life. They are British Empire and far flung roadless colonies in places I can't even spell or place. Totally unAmerican, totally Jeepless, and totally different in western Colorado and Utah where I have lived for 30 years. Few and far between especially in the 4x4 boonies out here in the Four Corners. Jeeps out here are endless in their numbers and I wanted something different to wander in. Jeeps are great, great vehicles but almost every off roader had one. It is fun and exciting to be the only LR in a large Jeep club plus be almost the only LR at the Moab Jeep Safari. Mine has been everything I dreamed of and more. I have wandered and explored wildlands in the west for many years prior to Rover ownership but the Rover (modified) enabled me to go much farther especially as my once strong hiking legs began to deteriorate with age. There is no way I would ever want to total up the $$$ I have spent during Rover ownership but it has been worth it. My Disco is battered, scratched, and badly dinged but still runs. Still an strange exotic British vehicle that engenders comments good and bad. Every day is a Safari day be I driving to work or four wheeling.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Drifting

I have an oddball auto fetish as well. I grew up with aircooled VW's with a few water pumpers thrown in. I sold my MINI Cooper to get my '01 Range Rover HSE. I also have a bit of a vintage motorcycle and sailboat problem, so high maintenance things are the norm for me. I needed something more suitable than a MINI to haul bikes to the track and the thought of a "normal" truck was just painful

Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I inherited my rover. I love it to death. I was in my first rover when I was 6 and from there on I was in love with them. I am very glad that I can own and AFFORD GAS for it! I did total up my rover ownership cost. Counting every quart of oil and each gasket I am in $5,024.84 not bad for a free truck! I will never be rover-less again. I will always own one, now weather it drives or not that's a different story.. lol

Quick Reply: why did you get a rover