Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Why is it? So much let down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is it? So much let down.

Over and over and over, I see great threads just stop without any resolution? Is this a land rover owner 's mantra? I see so many discussions of common problems that never, ever have a solution... Does this mean that the vehicle that was being diagnosed succumbed to failure and was scrapped, or was it fixed and the solution closely guarded , even coveted for no other human to discover?

I find it aggravating that Al Gores Internet is useless as a range rover classic resource. But luckily I have other means.. Thankfully.

I'm game to start up a resource center with a database and follow up on repairs..is there anyone else that feels my pain?

Or shall I remain on my own with my fine British hardware?

Either way is fine, I got this far after all...

Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

It is human nature.

1. The desire not to be known by peers as having missed something simple.

2. The desire not to be known by peers for failing to fix and disposing of vehicle.

3. The desire to please SWMBO and stop wasting time on the forum when other tasks await.

4. The desire to find the next mountain or mudhole (or both) because it is running better than ever and who has time to waste on the forum.

5. The desire to associate with persons who support your opinions, which is not always the case on this forum.

The common problems have common solutions. If you have a really interesting Rangie issue it lures the pro mechanics off their creepers (where they take power naps in the cool breeze) to comment.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 5bravobravo
Over and over and over, I see great threads just stop without any resolution? Is this a land rover owner 's mantra? I see so many discussions of common problems that never, ever have a solution... Does this mean that the vehicle that was being diagnosed succumbed to failure and was scrapped, or was it fixed and the solution closely guarded , even coveted for no other human to discover?

I find it aggravating that Al Gores Internet is useless as a range rover classic resource. But luckily I have other means.. Thankfully.

I'm game to start up a resource center with a database and follow up on repairs..is there anyone else that feels my pain?

Or shall I remain on my own with my fine British hardware?

Either way is fine, I got this far after all...

I agree. On other forums (BMW) it is the opposite, threads get comemnted to death on. I have posted simple windshield wiper replacement option questions and no response. Hard to beleive nobody with an LR4 has had to replace thier wipers yet.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

This forum it seems, has a high turnover rate. Some people refer to it as the "$500 truck crowd". There's a lot of kids that buy trucks or people that don't have a clue that buy trucks. A lot of the prominent people that used to post on here are gone, and along with that any sense of community goes with them unless new people replace them. Most noticably, Spike is gone. He was a mainstay here and sadly he was driven away.
So what happens is people post their problems, get possible answers, and then disappear. Some may sell the truck. Others may fix the truck but because that "community" doesn't exist they don't feel the need/desire to "pay it back" by posting what worked/what didn't/the solution.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall I think that the American Land Rover "community" online and offline and in general personality is more vicious, snobbish, arrogant, and castigating than any other group of people I have ever been around. This forum is a piece of cake compared to some other intensely and intently vicious LR forums and LR clubs which are always in attack mode. LR dealerships reflect this nastiness and unhelpfulness unless you are buying a new 100 grand LR. I would rather be around jeepers and jeep people any day as they are just average Joes like I am. Jeep people like to be helpful overall rather than be as rude as many LR types seem to be. If this offends anybody then tough. My local jeep club is full of really nice people but I can't say the same for many of the roverites I have been in contact with over the years. Most roverites have their noses in the air. This all is reflected in new rover owners and old even rover owners not asking for help very often after having been burned online.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

I guess the community is in several groups: the blokes with the new ones, who are unlikely to DIY. The high miles owner, hoping to keep it rolling, forced into weekends of slavery under the truck by stealership prices. And the noobie owner with a million questions, a truck someone was smart enough to sell, and no money to fix it.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Mudding

Well in the end I'll stick it out and keep mine running. I really enjoy the ruggedness, ride quality offroad, and wheeling ability. The technical complexities are a bit challenging, but I don't let it beat me, it is afterall just pile of hardware.

I am effectively a newbie still, so when I encounter a nagging issue I usually hit the web as a first stop. While I have got a lot of support from this site, I also have had to pay the rover troll and decipher a number of issues on my own. Of particular aggravation is threads that just stop at about 80% and do not follow up with the final fix.

Luckily my RRC is not a DD, so I can take my time and poke and prod and test until I figure out what is going on. In the long run its good because I end up with an intimate knowledge of my rig and that has always proven important when venturing off into the wilderness (and expecting to return in the same vehicle on the planned schedule).

I feel pretty confident that it won't strand me..and I carry about one of every electronic part in the rig at all times.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

CKP sensor?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Mudding

Currently it runs solid except the idle hunts and with the ac running, it occasionally stalls when I coast or slow to a stop.

Distributor, cap,motor, vac advance, and timing all good, maf is clean and appears to work fine, tps set to spec and passes the test in the manual, new fuel filter installed, PVC system looks great, and I can find any vacuum leaks anywhere, iac is new, and with it unplugged acts the same.

The ac system is up to par, pressures are good, and the compressor does not appear to be bound or have bearing issues , it is pretty new as well (r134a conversion)

Base idle set per the book, also I have played with the throttle cable to no avail, just put it back to the setting in the manual.

A clue that makes me swear I have a vacuum leak is that a get a whistle or howl through the inlet at the air filter.

Another clue is it ran fine until I drove through 20 miles of dust and silt so thick I couldn't see the hood...that caused a lot of nagging issues that I already resolved.
Has a new coolant temp sensor

My next step is to get a gauge suitable for testing fuel pressure. Probably due for a coil, as it still has the original and it's a 1992 LSE with 3.9 and a14cux ecu

It may be due for o2 sensors as well, but I hate to shotgun problems. I'm in the process of getting rovergauge running so I can see what's going on there. I'm pretty stubborn about sticking it out and figuring what is going on. I can take it to the shop but that would defeat my purposes...I need to know this rig inside out if it is going to be taking me to remote areas.

Kinda the wrong forum to post this up, if it turns into anything I can start a new thread in the range rover forum and copy it over.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Find vac leak with squirts of fluid around suspect areas? Restrict intake partial (not full) to increase squeal? Listen thru a piece of hose moved about? PCV system cleaned out (port from driver side valve cover to throttle body, and space inside thottle body)?

Tire gauge will work for fuel pressure test, dispose of gauge. Clean MAF with made for MAF spray when stone cold? IACV port it fits into cleaned with carb cleaner?

Here is a LR overview of their various fuel injection systems with values for sensors, etc.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LR_Fuel_InjectionSystems.pdf (413.4 KB, 272 views)

Quick Reply: Why is it? So much let down.