Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Your feedback please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:00 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Your feedback please!

Hi folks, just signed up in this forum. I am finally in the market for an SUV - My first SUV actually. I currently have a Lotus Elise and a Civic SI but I realize its time for something larger now.

I have always admired all models of Land Rovers - from their timeless look, classy heritage, to their reputation of impressive off-road performance.

My eye is on the new Discovery Sport coming out soon. Here is my big set-back. I am hesitant about a Land Rover's reliability. People that I know have owned one before had theirs in the shop quite often. Now, I have done as much research as I could before asking this question on a forum... So don't flame me, please. Lol. I understand that the Tata group purchased Jag / Land Rover a few years back and since then, I have read that the company has been significantly turned around.

I suppose my real question is, has the reliability with Land Rovers been significantly turned around as well, under Tata's ownership? I understand that thousands of owners out there will say yes, and thousands might say no. I suppose I would like some general feedback as to how much hair would I be pulling out with this purchase? (If any?)

Old 01-27-2015, 06:07 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Welcome to the club and world of Landrover lunatics. LR's are a way of life just not an SUV. The reputation of LR's to a greater extent is not justified, the problem, people buy an LR and expect Porche performance and drive it as such BUT forget or neglect to service and maintain them. The problem with SUV's is there is a lot of mechanicals going on in it and the later versions electronics too. Moving forward to the newer vehicles, the Discovery Sport etc, I'm sure they are better equiped for everyday use and abuse as with all the LR range but again, like everything, you get out what you put in, use and abuse and it'll let you down sooner. I don't know a lot about the new Disco Sport other than it's really a replacement for the Freelander and has a smaller floorplan and engines. Personally, it's not my bag, to me it's more 'toy town' than 'work horse'. I believe it's designed more for soccer moms and mall cruising than offroading. I may be proved wrong, I often have, but let's wait and see. Tata are increasingly more commercial and are targeting a different market than the old LR retainers, they are more interested in the young execs and their wives than farmers and enthusiasts. The world has changed in the automotive world as in many other things and the young gun marketing execs are targeting those only with money by using high fashion packed with 'must have' gadgetry.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Things are looking good in the Land of Rover. I wouldn't think twice about buying a First year Land Rover product.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And y’all can trash me for this one as I really need to know. Where is this rave everyone refers too? I’ve tried buying repair Manual on my D2 but have yet to find one, is that what this rave is? And where can I get my own. Ty

Old 02-25-2018, 06:01 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Meldav32
And y’all can trash me for this one as I really need to know. Where is this rave everyone refers too? I’ve tried buying repair Manual on my D2 but have yet to find one, is that what this rave is? And where can I get my own. Ty
RAVE is the official LR workshop manual. You can find it in the 'sticky' section of the D2 threads (I think). It's the 'bible' for all D2 owners and many other LR owners. Some nice kind hearted guy on here will PM you a link or a copy

I can't help you as my copy is embedded on my computer C drive but you might find a 'free' copy online (nothing is truly 'free' though)