Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

zombie apocalypse

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Install a hydraulic pump on your engine, plumb it to a manifold and get hydraulic tools. Hydraulic chain saw, winch, jaws of life...Gold will do you no good. It is too hard to make change. Silver would be suitable. Collect and keep the older silver quarters, dimes, copper pennies, nickle nickles...they currently have a metal value higher than their face value and precious metals will always be needed. Buy those small 16oz propane tanks when they are on sale and store them away for future use. Buy salt. Put it in buckets. You will be glad you did if you ever need it for meat preparation and there is none in the stores left. Get a Ruger 10/22 and a .22 pistol. Stock at least 20k rounds. You can hunt and take a lot of game(including deer) with a .22, and the ammo can be used for bartering, takes up a lot less space and is (relatively) cheap.

Get a couple wind-up battery-less flashlights and a wind-up radio.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm not worried about a gen set, I'll be in the woods next to a lake out of sight from planes and the road.
Car charger will charge the phone.
Running a V8 to power a chain saw burns alot of fuel.
Already have the 10/22, and a .380 and 2 20 gauge shot guns, hunting knife, propane torch.
Once you get to your safe zone drive as little as possible, conserve fuel.
A P-38 can opener from the Army Surplus Store fits on your key chain and costs about $2.
You dont need to carry everything in your truck at all times, just have it ready to go at a moments notice.
Combine things that you can, I have a iPhone, my wife has a iPod, they use the same charger, so my car charger will power both.
Have a car charger for every cell phone so if your phone gets broken or lost you can use your wifes or your kids.
Someone said a CB radio, a portable one is cheap and easy to carry.
My dog can hunt for itself and eat scraps.

This thread is fun.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Solar cell panel to keep battery charged up (while allowing use of radio) - hard to get a jump in the safe zone. 2nd battery if space allows, yank from car you leave behind.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Make your safe zone within one fuel tank of a smallish city, the smaller the better, within reason. The people of a small city/town are more likely to band together in time of crisis than those from a large metropolis.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 AM
TReK

A solar powered electric netting fence. Put up around the perimeter of your camp. Will keep most of the 4 legged critters away from you and give you more time to deal with the 2 legged animals.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

With all these good ideas we need to get bigger roof racks....

And dry ice would be good if available when you are leaving - of course eventually all melts. Depending on area and time of year might have snow/ice. In the old days, people kept stuff cool at the spring house, set containers down in running stream water. So have containers suitable for that, and refuge area should be selected with water available as one important item. In an emergency, you can drain water from an electric or gas water heater, there's 40 - 80 gallons right there. While enroute to safe zone, stop at any place still open and buy fuel and food, so you will have more left when you get to the final destination. Why get there with 1/4 tank, if you passed two stations? Good sized crow bar - don't know what you might have to open up. If you have your high lift jack, you can wedge it into many door frames and spread them apart to allow the deadbolt to swing free. Sledge hanmmer / maul could also be handy.

Have real maps, GPS gear might go out, dropped and broken, etc.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:33 PM
TReK

Carry a master key(aka bolt cutters)

Old 09-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And a saw-za... Battery is ideal. Especially if you have solar power.. then if you need to make way for you, you can. But a chain saw would be even better!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about an EMP??? How do we protect our rovers from that?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love that it takes marketing disaster preparedness as "zombie apocalypse preparedness" for the CDC to get people's attention. It paints a funny, but sad picture, about the state of our country...

-----

I find it even funnier that being prepared for a disaster can get you put on the "terrorist watch list." --->You are a terrorist | National Association for Gun Rights

Quick Reply: zombie apocalypse