General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rolling road warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rolling road warning

OK - so we have this 89 Range Rover - it sat for years...only has 52xxx + miles on it...

I have driven it now for 2 weeks and the trans seems to be slipping...

There is this warning that says that it should only be driven on "rolling road" if proper precautions are taken...

So what the HELL does that mean? Pavement? Highways??

It is in 4 wheel high - cause the book says long trips it should be in there...

The trans is actually over full...fluid is starting to smell a little burnt...I used to rebuild transmissions...so I know that smell is not good...

This afternoon (mind you it was fine this morning) - I tried putting it in reverse - and it would go in and rev but not move...I put it in 4 wheel low and it would move and it slipped...

After being driven about a mile and a half - when I had to reverse again - it would go in and drive but it was jerking...

Any ideas?????

James

Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I would vote for transmission fluid and filter change. Over full could be that previous owner dumped in additives to resolve this slipping problem earlier. If you are lucky it is just old, tired fluid. May have to put your old skills to work. The free RAVE tech manual download covers back to that model Rangie I believe.

There is a write up in the tech section of the Discovery 1 forum with photos of what to expect with the tranny pan pulled for filter change, etc. May be similar, Discos have a cross member to deal with.

Most Disco's end up at the salvage yard from blown heads. Don't know if their tranny is a swap.

I don't know if you will get all the fluid from the torque converter, on another brand of car I had to attach a hose to the line going to the radiator and pump out two quarts at a time and keep refilling, some trans don't circulate fluid in converter except when in gear. Many posts on this forum refer to doing multiple fluid changes to get it all.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-27-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if its been sitting for over two years and the tranny is "overfilled", it probably over filled because condensate collected in the oil pan while sitting. Now that you just started driving it that water/condensate is now getting mixed in with the fluid, which is why it looks "overfilled". "I" would drain it and fill it a couple times you may be able to save it.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the replies. That's what we figured we would do. James is considering just getting rid of her asap - but where in the world are we gonna get another one of these...its like a little tank...I (his wife) want to keep her - love the truck...

This was a rare find for us where we live - up in the high rocky mtns...I'm giving up 2 vehicles for this little tank.

Did get the RAVE manual - but having a hard time getting it to load. Will have to work on that...

Thanks again!!

Christine

Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

drowsapp may be on the money with moisture, not sure how that would show up on the dip stick, but it could also come from a radiator-to-tranny cooler leak - its all part of the same box. But those older radiators are brass and copper and don't cost a fortune to repair - look for an indy shop that does farm and heavy equipment radiators so they can make their boat payments on the big guys. Mine was flushed, rodded out, and leaks soldered for $65. And yes, you want to keep the truck.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you wont see it on a dip stick, you will see it when it drains. I had it happen with a diff. years ago all the 90wt drained out, then about a quart of water followed.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Overlanding

Thanks guys...He found that it was happening mostly if he didn't give it time to warm up...odd...

He and our mechanic are going to work on it tomorrow...

Thanks