General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Series of Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A Series of Newbie Questions

Hello Everyone, thanks for taking a look at my questions.

First, I'd like to say that I've done a good amount of searching in these and other forums and can't seem to find answers that directly address my questions (very likely its due to my ignorance of some terms...). I'm throwing my questions out here in the hopes that some kind soul will be able to point me in the right direction.

Background: I've got a 2006 Range Rover Supercharged without the DVD system.

Issue #1: I need an AUX input.

I've come across two possible fixes. One is replacing the CD Changer and the other seems to be an in-line harness that is installed in the back and then run under the carpet to someplace up front... Neither seem perfect to me so I'm curious if anyone could comment on the success and ease of these methods or point to an alternative?

One alternative I've thought of is a bluetooth link, but NOTHING seems to show how to do it on a 2006.

Issue #2: I'm tempted to install a DVD player.

questions here are numerous... is it easy? will it play on the stock GPS screen? While moving? Will the head unit recognize it automatically or does it require a dealer to "turn it on"?

Issue #3: I'm an iphone user (iPhone 4 and iPad).

(I'm waiting for the jokes about being an iPhone user as my issue... ) Is there a way to replace the built in phone port in the lid of the storage bin between the front seats to use the iPhone? If so does it give any additional functionality over the bluetooth connection I'm using now?

Issue #4: Preventative Maintenance

I'm not the first owner of this vehicle... its got 75k miles... what should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

--Mitch

Old 01-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have very little insight for you on most of this but thought I would throw out a few things. If you want the aux input then why not use an FM modulator to do it like the blue tooth would.

As far as what to look for on what to do now you have it, I would do all the services that you cannot prove have been done. I would do plugs, wires, fluids and so forth unless you know they were just done. Keep up on the maintenance when it says so and do not wait until it breaks to do it.