General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 2000 HSE, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:22 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 2000 HSE, advice?

I currently own a 2005 LR3, and I'm thinking of buying a 2000 Range Rover HSE, what kind of advice can you guys give me? Problems to worry about? Issues that are likely to occur?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like this is the #1 question asked on this forum. Have you searched the threads for common issues for that model and year? You could search and find multiple responses for this same question but in general, I think EAS issues trump most other issues for the P38 Range Rover and then there are all sorts of electrical gremlin issues (typically minor but still a headache). If you can have access to all of the maintenance records for the history of the vehicle, you'll be well off. If major service intervals were missed, you'll likely start have costly problems around or before 100K miles. As you probably already know (since you have the LR3), these are very high maintenance vehicles. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can find one that has lots of documentation, you can reasonably assume it was never overheated, and the fluids were changed regularly. It will make a great vehicle. As stated the EAS is the thing that gives the most headaches on these rovers. Many of them have been converted to coils though.

Its very important that the coolant was changed regularly along with the oil and other fluids. Rovers will last a long time if they are all flushed regularly. I've found that many owners (forgive me for saying this ) tend to be dumbasses with their LRs, and do not maintain them at all. Except for the occasional cheapo oil change when the engine starts to tap. When the fluids are not flushed regularly. You get overheating issues, leaks, head gasket problems, and in some cases block problems. I see it all the time with abused Discos. It sickens me too...

The owners that do actually take care of them often times have years of carefree ownership. Good luck with your search, let us know if you need any help or have further questions.