Range Rover L322 (3rd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover L322 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Range Rover L322 5.0 SC - Fan Speed, Temperature Issue and Engine Whirring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2024 | 06:45 PM
|
2nd Gear
Default 2012 Range Rover L322 5.0 SC - Fan Speed, Temperature Issue and Engine Whirring Issue

Hoping you can help. Had to repair a loose valve seat on my 2012 Range Rover L322 5.0 SC. I removed both cylinder heads although only one needed to be repaired. I reinstalled everything and it started almost immediately. However, the radiator fan runs at high speed, the engine appears to be getting hot faster than usual and when I accelerate, the engine makes a loud whirring/wind sound but sounds good when idling or coasting (Not a grinding or a vibration, it more closely resembles an 18 wheeler truck in 1st gear going forward after a complete stop). When idling it sounds perfect except for the high-speed fan. Need some help given the following as I think I have three separate issues.

1: The fan is always at full speed as it must think the engine is running hot whether the engine is cold or hot.
2: The OBD2 reading is always 302F for the engine temperature, even at a cold start (Catalytic converters also both read exactly 1645F at a cold start regardless of engine temperature).
3: The engine whirrs loudly when accelerating but sounds good when idling or coasting (except for the high-speed radiator fan noise). Again, the noise is not a grinding or a vibration, it more closely resembles a loud leaf blower.

Some history on what I have done:
  1. Sprayed contact cleaner on both Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensors (male and female sides).
  2. Installed a new ECT at both ECT1 and ECT2 locations to see if it was a bad sensor.
  3. Ohm meter readings of both ECT sensors at the female ends are 18 kohms when cold.
  4. Removed ECT 1 and ECT2 connection and installed a jumper wire in the female end to see if the fan speed would modulate but no modulation occurred.
  5. OBD2 reads 302 F regardless if the engine is cold or warm.
  6. The dashboard temperature gauge tracks correctly. Shows cold at start-up and tracks to the straight up 12 o’clock position within 5 minutes.
  7. The Catalytic converters read 1645 F regardless if the engine is cold or warm.
  8. Coolant was replaced and bled. All radiator hoses are warm to the touch when engine warms up.
  9. I removed the insides of the thermostat just to make sure that it was not restricting flow. I did not replace the insides yet so I can obtain maximum flow within the system.
  10. Both cylinder head gaskets appear to be sealing tight. No backfeed pressurization of the coolant system and no engine exhaust smell or discoloration of the coolant.
  11. Coolant is orange OAT pre-mix (not concentrate).
Let me know what you think and thank you in advance for your help.

Old 10-05-2024 | 12:15 PM
|
2nd Gear

RESOLVED
I had a cross connection between my ECT1 and the Intake Manifold Runner Vacuum Control Valve/Solenoid connection (I didn’t realize two completely different functions on a car would use the exact same connector).