Range Rover L322 (3rd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover L322 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever heard this strange sound upon starting engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 08:07 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever heard this strange sound upon starting engine?

My 2006 RR HSE with 133K miles recently began making a high pitched screeching sound upon starting the engine. Happens on cold and warm engine starts. Sound / noise lasts anywhere from 2-5 seconds then disappears. Sounds electronic (as opposed to mechanical) and sounds like it’s coming from inside the cabin (as opposed to the engine bay). Sound doesn’t correspond to acceleration or RPMs. Don’t think it’s radio related either. No warning lights or error messages. Vehicle runs great otherwise. Has anyone experienced this type of sound or have any thoughts as to what’s going on? Any help would be appreciated…

Old 12-04-2022, 06:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MotorCityRover
My 2006 RR HSE with 133K miles recently began making a high pitched screeching sound upon starting the engine. Happens on cold and warm engine starts. Sound / noise lasts anywhere from 2-5 seconds then disappears. Sounds electronic (as opposed to mechanical) and sounds like it’s coming from inside the cabin (as opposed to the engine bay). Sound doesn’t correspond to acceleration or RPMs. Don’t think it’s radio related either. No warning lights or error messages. Vehicle runs great otherwise. Has anyone experienced this type of sound or have any thoughts as to what’s going on? Any help would be appreciated…
Ever figure out what's wrong and manage to fix it? Exact same thing happens with mine now

Old 12-04-2022, 10:08 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by JonJavelin
Ever figure out what's wrong and manage to fix it? Exact same thing happens with mine now
No such luck. Still dealing with the sound occasionally. I now have 175k miles but I hasn’t gotten worse. Still intermittent and more prone upon (just after) colder weather starts. Fades off pretty quickly and doesn’t seem to affect any other functions. If you figure anything out please let me know. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2022, 07:58 PM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you sure its not something in the serpentine belt??

Old 12-16-2022, 08:43 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Ericlockheed
Are you sure its not something in the serpentine belt??
Yes, I’m sure. Belt was replaced for general age during the time this has been happening and it didn’t eliminate the gremlin. As best I can glean, it stems from a component referred to as the ‘ECU box’ whatever the heck that is / does.