Range Rover L322 (3rd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover L322 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover wont fix, only replace my engine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 01:14 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover wont fix, only replace my engine.

Im hoping this isnt against the rules here, but I was just told, by Land Rover America, to drop dead (essentially). I thought i would post the email that outlined why. "Joe" is Joe Eberhardt, President of Land Rover America.
Audrey, thanks for your return communication. As truly disappointing as it is, lets take your points, one at a time.
(Joe, I thought to include you, as in my experience, this kind of stuff rarely reaches your level, and I think you need to be aware of this.)
As you can see you are out of all parameters for any assistance and I am so deeply sorry, but Land Rover North America, LLC would not be in a position to provide any assistance towards your engine repairs. Once a vehicle is out of Warranty, all repairs are customer responsibility.
As we both know, this vehicle has a "warranty" through Red Shield. This last time the vehicle was brought in, was towards the end of August, in limp mode. Through my experience with them, and Land Rover, no work would be attempted until they were called and asked for a case to be opened. This occurred in February (6 MONTHS later). I have had many cars, and this is so far out of the norm as to be criminal. As I believe I told you, I have owned this car for 18 months. Paid for it, insured it, and had it in my possession for less than 6 weeks. In this merry go round of attempting to get Land Rover to simply fix this vehicle, or just pay off what I owe so I can walk away and not be paying for a car that is un-drive-able, I was told that the holdup was they couldn't verify I had properly maintained it. I received 2 emails asking for detailed maintenance records to verify this, to which I pointed out the above, that I hadn't had it in my possession long enough to do anything to it but wash it, once. Then the story changed (again) and I was told that they couldn't verify the maintenance of the car before I had purchased it. I pointed out that I had run a Carfax on it, and saw that it had been maintained either in dealerships, or in authorized centers. I saw multi point checks, and then starting with Cherry Hill Land Rover, a repair of the largest issue with this car, followed by more checks and certifications. It seems to me that Land Rover has been attempting to find a way out of any responsibility since the beginning.
I am so very sorry and know an engine repair can be quite costly for sure. I am so very happy to hear your extended warranty company will be able to contribute $10,608.65 towards your needed engine repairs.
Repairs? I was told that it would be cheaper to replace the engine at $31,000 than repair it. In my research, other dealers actually laughed at this, and authorized repair places were aghast, particularly when I told them just part of this story. The vehicle is still "taken apart" at the dealership, and I, nor anyone I spoke with, can believe that replacing a piston would cost more than thirty one thousand dollars. I'm not sure why they don't want to repair this vehicle, and insist on replacing an engine with very low miles that has been "worked on" over and over, for 18 months. Perhaps there is more to this than just a broken piston?
Mr. Brown, I must be very transparent with you, especially during today’s world situation and climate. Please allow me to explain the parameters Land Rover North America, LLC must abide by in order to determine financial assistance.
-We look at the age of the vehicle: 2011. -
correct
-The current mileage: 64,327 miles.
On 6/22/19 this vehicle had 59,928 miles, per your records. I had the vehicle in my possession after this time, for approximately 2 weeks. I did drive to Maryland and back (475 miles) in between then, and August, after which I brought the vehicle in to the dealership. Lets say there was another 200 miles there somewhere. That would mean that there should be roughly 60,603 miles on the car. I was assured that the car was up on the lift the whole time, each time it was there, and yet I have photographic proof this isn't so. So in other words, as the vehicle was out of my control, and I was lied to about it being up on the lift the whole time (not by Charles Estelle), the dealership is responsible for 3,724 miles being put on this vehicle. Obviously, even though I was told this vehicle was on the lift the whole time, and kept for inordinate amounts of time, someone was driving it, and it wasn't me.
-How many previous owners. You are the 4th owner per Carfax.
correct
-Whether you are out of Warranty. Standard Factory Warranty expired 10-Aug-2014 50000.
correct, and before my time.
-Was the vehicle purchased from a certified retailer? No.
No, but prior to my taking possession, the timing chain issue was repaired at a cost of over $9,000, and a full multi-point check was performed at Cherry Hill Land Rover (i'm sure you knew this). After the sale of the vehicle, this was discovered, and the previous owner was an honorable man, and fixed it. He paid out of pocket as Red Shield insisted it was a prior existing condition, and wouldn't cover it.
-Loyalty to the brand. First Land Rover.
Correct, I was very specific in pointing out this was my experiment, as my wife wanted the Evoque, and I was curious to assess the car itself and the quality of service before purchasing a new car for considerably more money. (we buy a lot of cars, as we both like them). My experience so far has been the worst of my life, and I was honestly hoping that with all of this history I'm pointing out, that Land Rover might try to step up and do the right thing. I thought I was buying a luxury brand, that stood behind their product, and made sure that the customers positive perception mattered.
-Current Kelly Blue Book Value. Range: $9,240 - $11,869
Incorrect, and honestly not even close. Trade in value is $11,627-$15,122 and Private Party Range is $15,389-$20,452 Were you perhaps looking at a lower model? This is the Supercharged with Luxury package. However, this points out how ridiculous this is, in that I'm told you cant repair your car (certainly not my fault) and insist on putting in a new engine that is worth considerably more than the entire car.
-Whether retailer has provided you with a loaner. Yes. -
Correct , considering the dealership has had the vehicle for the most part of 18 months, I would have expected no less. In fact, the first 2 occasions they had it, when I had the car back, they hadn't fixed the problems, and it was back in the shop days later.
-Was previous financial assistance offered in the past? Yes
THIS is what you consider financial assistance? They called it a good will repair because they had the car so long, and hadn't fixed the problem. I honestly don't think you could consider this (i was told it was $700 ) "financial assistance"
5/29/19 to 6/22/19@59,928 miles RO#862751 a seat harness was covered by Land Rover North America, LLC.

I never thought I would ever get this type of treatment from a luxury brand, but, you see above it is real. You might want to think twice about purchasing from this manufacturer, as you see above they will cut you loose in a heartbeat.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover wont fix, only replace my engine.

Im hoping this isnt against the rules here, but I was just told, by Land Rover America, to drop dead (essentially). I thought i would post the email that outlined why. "Joe" is Joe Eberhardt, President of Land Rover America.
Audrey, thanks for your return communication. As truly disappointing as it is, lets take your points, one at a time.
(Joe, I thought to include you, as in my experience, this kind of stuff rarely reaches your level, and I think you need to be aware of this.)
As you can see you are out of all parameters for any assistance and I am so deeply sorry, but Land Rover North America, LLC would not be in a position to provide any assistance towards your engine repairs. Once a vehicle is out of Warranty, all repairs are customer responsibility.
As we both know, this vehicle has a "warranty" through Red Shield. This last time the vehicle was brought in, was towards the end of August, in limp mode. Through my experience with them, and Land Rover, no work would be attempted until they were called and asked for a case to be opened. This occurred in February (6 MONTHS later). I have had many cars, and this is so far out of the norm as to be criminal. As I believe I told you, I have owned this car for 18 months. Paid for it, insured it, and had it in my possession for less than 6 weeks. In this merry go round of attempting to get Land Rover to simply fix this vehicle, or just pay off what I owe so I can walk away and not be paying for a car that is un-drive-able, I was told that the holdup was they couldn't verify I had properly maintained it. I received 2 emails asking for detailed maintenance records to verify this, to which I pointed out the above, that I hadn't had it in my possession long enough to do anything to it but wash it, once. Then the story changed (again) and I was told that they couldn't verify the maintenance of the car before I had purchased it. I pointed out that I had run a Carfax on it, and saw that it had been maintained either in dealerships, or in authorized centers. I saw multi point checks, and then starting with Cherry Hill Land Rover, a repair of the largest issue with this car, followed by more checks and certifications. It seems to me that Land Rover has been attempting to find a way out of any responsibility since the beginning.
I am so very sorry and know an engine repair can be quite costly for sure. I am so very happy to hear your extended warranty company will be able to contribute $10,608.65 towards your needed engine repairs.
Repairs? I was told that it would be cheaper to replace the engine at $31,000 than repair it. In my research, other dealers actually laughed at this, and authorized repair places were aghast, particularly when I told them just part of this story. The vehicle is still "taken apart" at the dealership, and I, nor anyone I spoke with, can believe that replacing a piston would cost more than thirty one thousand dollars. I'm not sure why they don't want to repair this vehicle, and insist on replacing an engine with very low miles that has been "worked on" over and over, for 18 months. Perhaps there is more to this than just a broken piston?
Mr. Brown, I must be very transparent with you, especially during today’s world situation and climate. Please allow me to explain the parameters Land Rover North America, LLC must abide by in order to determine financial assistance.
-We look at the age of the vehicle: 2011. -
correct
-The current mileage: 64,327 miles.
On 6/22/19 this vehicle had 59,928 miles, per your records. I had the vehicle in my possession after this time, for approximately 2 weeks. I did drive to Maryland and back (475 miles) in between then, and August, after which I brought the vehicle in to the dealership. Lets say there was another 200 miles there somewhere. That would mean that there should be roughly 60,603 miles on the car. I was assured that the car was up on the lift the whole time, each time it was there, and yet I have photographic proof this isn't so. So in other words, as the vehicle was out of my control, and I was lied to about it being up on the lift the whole time (not by Charles Estelle), the dealership is responsible for 3,724 miles being put on this vehicle. Obviously, even though I was told this vehicle was on the lift the whole time, and kept for inordinate amounts of time, someone was driving it, and it wasn't me.
-How many previous owners. You are the 4th owner per Carfax.
correct
-Whether you are out of Warranty. Standard Factory Warranty expired 10-Aug-2014 50000.
correct, and before my time.
-Was the vehicle purchased from a certified retailer? No.
No, but prior to my taking possession, the timing chain issue was repaired at a cost of over $9,000, and a full multi-point check was performed at Cherry Hill Land Rover (i'm sure you knew this). After the sale of the vehicle, this was discovered, and the previous owner was an honorable man, and fixed it. He paid out of pocket as Red Shield insisted it was a prior existing condition, and wouldn't cover it.
-Loyalty to the brand. First Land Rover.
Correct, I was very specific in pointing out this was my experiment, as my wife wanted the Evoque, and I was curious to assess the car itself and the quality of service before purchasing a new car for considerably more money. (we buy a lot of cars, as we both like them). My experience so far has been the worst of my life, and I was honestly hoping that with all of this history I'm pointing out, that Land Rover might try to step up and do the right thing. I thought I was buying a luxury brand, that stood behind their product, and made sure that the customers positive perception mattered.
-Current Kelly Blue Book Value. Range: $9,240 - $11,869
Incorrect, and honestly not even close. Trade in value is $11,627-$15,122 and Private Party Range is $15,389-$20,452 Were you perhaps looking at a lower model? This is the Supercharged with Luxury package. However, this points out how ridiculous this is, in that I'm told you cant repair your car (certainly not my fault) and insist on putting in a new engine that is worth considerably more than the entire car.
-Whether retailer has provided you with a loaner. Yes. -
Correct , considering the dealership has had the vehicle for the most part of 18 months, I would have expected no less. In fact, the first 2 occasions they had it, when I had the car back, they hadn't fixed the problems, and it was back in the shop days later.
-Was previous financial assistance offered in the past? Yes
THIS is what you consider financial assistance? They called it a good will repair because they had the car so long, and hadn't fixed the problem. I honestly don't think you could consider this (i was told it was $700 ) "financial assistance"
5/29/19 to 6/22/19@59,928 miles RO#862751 a seat harness was covered by Land Rover North America, LLC.

I never thought I would ever get this type of treatment from a luxury brand, but, you see above it is real. You might want to think twice about purchasing from this manufacturer, as you see above they will cut you loose in a heartbeat.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

This is very disheartening (however not really surprising in my book), but I read this twice and still don't understand the background here. You bought a used LR, out of factory warranty but with a 3rd party warranty, from a used car dealer, and are expecting LR to pay to fix it? What does the party from whom you purchased the vehicle say, or was it a private sale? What's wrong with the vehicle and on what grounds is LR supposed to pay for the repairs? Regarding your last sentence, it doesn't sound like you purchased anything from this manufacturer. You purchased something made by them, a long time ago, which has had a history of problems, unfortunately. What am I missing?

The following users liked this post:
BOHICA (08-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2020, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

That was my take as well @ahab

Old 06-05-2020, 06:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 401 Likes on 278 Posts

I had my L322 engine crap out at 55000. I spent the 30000 for the new engine and install (and 1 year complete warranty Evan's automotive Columbus OH) as I could not find another SUV that I liked better. I had a head gasket blow due to a warped block and a head stud that pulled out after a drive back from Jersey. And no LR dealer would repair the engine, they don't have the tools or training to do a block repair (and even head gaskets at some shops...). It sucks $ wise, but I'm still driving it 30000 miles later....

And I know Cherry Hill LR very well......
Check out the indy shops....

Old 06-05-2020, 12:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

If different font colors were used, it would make reading the post much easier.

Since I've never purchased a "luxury brand" vehicle of new enough age to go to a dealership for anything, I don't know what "luxury brand" treatment is. Do luxury brands pick up the bill for their vehicles when over five years outside the warranty period? Is that a reasonable expectation? I wouldn't think so, but that's me.

Good luck Locksley.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:59 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

No. Completely unreasonable.

You might get that treatment if you bought a "Certified Used Vehicle" from the dealer and went back to that dealer under their written warranty but never if you purchased the vehicle aftermarket.

The dealer however will be happy to take your money just like anyone else walking in with an out of warranty vehicle or vehicle under aftermarket warranty.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:05 PM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is an unfortunate situation, but I'm not sure exactly what you're expecting this Land Rover dealer to do for you. Your vehicle is nine years old, and has been out of the factory warranty for nearly six years. The dealer, and the LR brand/company, has no obligation to fix your car for any price other than what they think is suitable (which is absurdly high of course, but that's why you never take an out-of-warranty car to a dealer for anything). Whether it's a "luxury brand" or not has nothing to do with it. If this was a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, or any other luxury brand, you'd be getting the same treatment and quotes from those dealers to replace a blown engine. Or any car brand at all. Having a Toyota dealer replace an engine out of warranty isn't going to be cheap, either. Maybe not $31K, but high enough that you'll say "no, thanks."

It's not clear what exactly is wrong with this motor, but if the dealer is suggesting replacing it entirely, it's probably a basket case not worth fixing.

It's not clear what this "Red Shield" third-party warranty is. If they are still supposed to be providing any warranty coverage, it sounds like your fight is with them, not the dealer.

Your only two reasonable options at this point are:
  • Tow the RR from the dealer to a reputable local indy shop, and have them install a used engine. You can buy them on eBay for around $7K. I'd guess labor to install it would be around $5K. If this third-party warranty company is actually offering you $10,608.65, then that nearly covers the cost of a replacement engine at an indy shop.
  • Ditch this vehicle for a loss, buy something else, and chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned that you never take a RR to the dealer out of warranty, and if you're going to own one of these outside of the warranty, you should have at least the purchase price saved in reserve to cover repairs plus a good indy shop lined up to do any repairs.

Last edited by Gwaunch; 06-21-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with Land Rover on this one, 100%. They don't owe you a thing. You're acting like you bought a brand new LR and are expecting to be taken care of as such. But you actually bought a used vehicle outside of the factory warranty.
Buy new next time