Range Rover P38 (2nd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover P38 within.

Coil conversions

Old 09-12-2018, 09:23 AM
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Coil conversions

i was in a upull junkyard in Detroit yesterday grabbing what I could off of a couple of p38ís yesterday. 2 of them had coil conversions and it didnít look like it would be too hard to remove them. Iím sure theyíd be cheap enough. My truck is currently on air and doing fine but I am interested. One truck had red coils with red koni shocks, machined aluminum plates. Anyone have a clue what brand they might be?
the other truck had grey springs and 265 tires. Iím guessing Terrafirma as a couple of the springs were rusted bad and Iíve heard the do that. The adapters looked like square plates with the corners folded up to keep the springs.
Any thoughts if itís worth my time to pull one of the kits or which one would be better?

Old 09-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Received 541 Likes on 484 Posts

The springs and mount plates are most likely from STRUTMASTERS.
And they used Eibach Springs in those kits.

> https://www.strutmasters.com/product...shocks-lb24fl/

Old 09-12-2018, 07:53 PM

Any idea how well they rode? I used eibach springs on a mustang long ago. They were great in that application.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:19 PM
Received 541 Likes on 484 Posts

I've used Eibach springs on BMWs in the past and the quality was ok.
As for the Strutmaster Kit IDK how the springs would be on a Rover.

I can tell you that I looked into this "kit" about 5 years ago and after a call to Eibach it turned out
that Eibach does not support this as an application for a Land Rover.
I was told basically Strutmaster found a spring from another vehicle that would "work", and that's what they are using in the kit.
Eibach also said no warranty through them because the springs used are not application specific.
I know you are looking to get the springs used so this is not an issue.

That info was about 5 years old, but it looks to be the same today on the Eibach site. No Rover application.
> https://eibach.com/us/c-67-products.html

Old 04-24-2019, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A buddy of mine has those strut master springs on his p38 and they sagged a lot.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:11 AM

As I installed the spring conversion into my p38 yesterday I noticed a name on one of the coils. Itís an arnott coil conversion. The swap went pretty good, the old retaining clips corroded in the aluminum adapters were the only problem.
I only drove it a few minutes after and the ride seemed ok, not great but ok. Some more driving will tell the tale.

The following users liked this post:
arnottdoug (04-25-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 07:14 AM

Well I got a few more miles in yesterday, on smother roads the ride is pretty good. On the bumpy roads the ride is terrible. Would anyone know if better shocks would help or are the coils really that bad?
I live in a rural area with lots of poor roads. The shocks are the factory black ones, all in decent shape

Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM

So you are the other PNP guy raiding the one-off P38s in our hood... :-)

I'm on version 3 of coils. And it is a very bid it depends. It depends on what you are going to use it for. What your daily load is (family of 4 or just u)? Going to tow?

I ended up, after trying AB's self-labeled "medium" kit, and something from the UK that sounds like your Arnott kit & went with the Lucky 8 OME/Terrafirma heavy duty coils/shocks. The OME make the difference. The coils squeak unless you get in there 1-2x a year and grease the ends. BUT I also have rails, rack, soon a ARB front bumper, and a Wilco tire carrier......all that metal is probably 400lbs, before loading. But I can load family + 1000lbs of gear on the truck without any problems. But if I were going to also tow I would add some firestone or other aftermarket rear bags & some type of RoverRaider manual assist to get the truck level.

HD is horrible without weight added. As I have mine built it is really good. Loaded with family it is better than air. Loaded with family + a weekends camping + paddle boards + bikes it is awesome....and EAS would have collapsed.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:11 PM

BTW, there is a really nice Kent Green one that just got in. Interior shot, sunroof open, but all the other bits are really clean (like weirdly zero rust). Doors are apparently spoken for, and I'm taking all the lights + EAS + BECM in the AM. But if you need anything under the hood its worth checking out.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:09 AM

Thanks but right now all is good. ****, I probably jinxed myself. Lol