Range Rover Sport L320 (2005-2013) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.

Hard ride / harsh suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 09:42 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard ride / harsh suspension

Dear forum members,

My name is Yan and I'm from Ukraine. Half a year ago, I became the proud owner of a 2010 Range Rover Sport S/C. However, I've recently encountered a peculiar issue, and I'm hoping for your assistance and advice.

When driving above 50 km/h, the suspension of my car becomes unusually stiff, despite the conditions remaining the same – I'm using the same roads and maintaining the same speed. If I slow down to less than 50 km/h, the suspension regains its usual softness, but this change doesn't happen immediately, it takes about a minute or so.

We've already inspected the entire suspension but found no issues. There are no active error codes or warnings on the dashboard, and checks indicate that the control units do not require updates.

I sincerely hope for your help and advice on this matter. Perhaps someone has encountered a similar issue or can suggest what might be causing this behaviour in the suspension. I thank you in advance for any information and assistance you can provide.

Best regards,
Yan

Old 06-17-2023, 05:52 AM
4th Gear

I've resolved the issue with the hard suspension. The problem was with non-standard tires for this car (255/55 R20), which are significantly larger than the standard tires. The profile height in the BCM block was considerably lower, the car's sensors misinterpreted the incoming information and stiffened the suspension: the car became as hard as a sports car. Initially, I tried to calibrate the accelerometer, but my laptop ran out of battery, and I left with a disconnection error from the module that controls the vehicle's roll (I might be wrong), and a miracle happened: the car stopped being stiff. There were many experiments afterwards, but the following helped:
1. Engineering mode SDD
2. Changing the data about the tire size and their circumference through the SDD engineering menu

For a week now, the car has been comfortable and only brings positive emotions.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yansats
I've resolved the issue with the hard suspension. The problem was with non-standard tires for this car (255/55 R20), which are significantly larger than the standard tires. The profile height in the BCM block was considerably lower, the car's sensors misinterpreted the incoming information and stiffened the suspension: the car became as hard as a sports car. Initially, I tried to calibrate the accelerometer, but my laptop ran out of battery, and I left with a disconnection error from the module that controls the vehicle's roll (I might be wrong), and a miracle happened: the car stopped being stiff. There were many experiments afterwards, but the following helped:
1. Engineering mode SDD
2. Changing the data about the tire size and their circumference through the SDD engineering menu

Interesting. I'll look into this. Tire size is correct but the computer may be set wrong.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Yansats
1. Engineering mode SDD

Is there an equiv setting in IID Tool GAP? Be nice to trick it into softer settings - or just make sure it is set appropriately as wheels change. I suspect this could be mitigated as well. https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/...2/#post-385301

Last edited by obiwantoby; 08-17-2023 at 09:25 PM.