Range Rover Sport L320 (2005-2013) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.

possible CAN bus issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 07:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default possible CAN bus issues?

I was driving when all the electronics in the truck went bonkers with no warning, the engine kept running fine, but the audio head unit read an error then shutdown, the nav screen died, HVAC died, dash lit up with many error lights, flashes came on, turn signals would not work, the time and temp on the dash was: --:-- and Im sure a lot more stuff I don't remember. I was able to turn around and drive back home, turned off the truck and it never started again. I have a nancom and was able to read these error codes:

FAULT 1 OF 20
ECU: Instrument Pack
CODE:U0010
Medium speed CAN communication bus
(INTERMITTENT)
BUS SIGNAL/MESSAGE FAILURE -
BUS IS OFF.

FAULT 2 OF 20
ECU: Instrument Pack
CODE:B1A87
Battery disconnection/electronic control unit reset
(PENDING)
ALGORITHM BASED FAILURE -
EVENT INFORMATION.

FAULT 3 OF 20
ECU: Engine Management
CODE:U0167
Lost communication with vehicle immobiliser control module
(INTERMITTENT)
GENERAL FAILURE INFORMATION -
NO SUBTYPE INFORMATION.

FAULT 4 OF 20
ECU: Transfer Case
CODE:U0155
Lost communication with instrument cluster control module
(PERMANENT)
MISSING A MESSAGE.

FAULT 5 OF 20
ECU: Automatic Gearbox
(PERMANENT)
MISSING A MESSAGE.

FAULT 6 OF 20
ECU: Parking Brake
CODE:U0101
Lost communication with transmission control module
(PERMANENT)
MISSING A MESSAGE.

FAULT 7 OF 20
ECU: Parking Brake
(PERMANENT)
MISSING A MESSAGE.

FAULT 8 OF 20
ECU: Ride Level
CODE:U0416
Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control module
(PENDING)
SIGNAL IS INVALID.

FAULT 9 OF 20
ECU: Steering Angle Sensor
CODE:U0122
Lost communication with vehicle dynamics control module
(PERMANENT)
MISSING A MESSAGE.

FAULT 10 OF 20
ECU: ABS system
(PERMANENT)
MISSING A MESSAGE.

FAULT 11 OF 20
ECU: All Terrain Control
(PENDING)
COMPONENT FAILURE -
UNEXPECTED OPERATION.

FAULT 12 OF 20
ECU: All Terrain Control
CODE:U0421
Invalid data received from ride level control module
(PENDING)
COMPONENT FAILURE -
UNEXPECTED OPERATION.

FAULT 13 OF 20
ECU: Front Lighting
CODE:U3000
Control module
(PERMANENT)
SYSTEM PROGRAMMING FAILURE -
IS NOT CONFIGURED.

FAULT 14 OF 20
ECU: Parking Assist
MISSING A MESSAGE.

FAULT 15 OF 20
CODE:U0140
Lost communication with body control module / Loss of communication with central junction box
MISSING A MESSAGE.

FAULT 16 OF 20
CODE:U0300
Internal control module software incompatibility
IS NOT CONFIGURED.

FAULT 17 OF 20
ECU: Tyre Pressure
(PERMANENT)
NO SUBTYPE INFORMATION.

FAULT 18 OF 20
ECU: Tyre Pressure
(PERMANENT)
NO SUBTYPE INFORMATION.

FAULT 19 OF 20
ECU: Audio Front Control
CODE:B1A56
Antenna / Driver seat slide control relay failure / Slide relay output is not equal to feedback
(PERMANENT)
GENERAL ELECTRICAL FAILURE.

FAULT 20 OF 20
ECU: Audio Front Control
(PERMANENT)
IS NOT CONFIGURED.

The scanner could not read the touchscreen, HVAC, audio amp, and phone, it it took several tries to get it to read the Audio Front control, and Body Control
To my untrained eyes it looks like a CAN bus failure of some sort thats causing everything else to freak out. Anyone have any ideas where to start?

Old 02-01-2020, 03:38 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same issuessssssssssss..

HELP HELP

Old 02-01-2020, 04:10 PM
4wd Low

new developments, so on a hunch I removed the front head unit and completely took it apart to see if I could find any bad capacitors or something. Everything looked fine, put it back together and when I put it back into the car everything worked! I was able to start the car, it idled for about 1 min before all the electronics died just like before. So my though is something is wrong with the head unit and causing the bus not to communicate. I'll head to the junk yard monday and swap out the head units and see if that fixes it. and report back my findings

Old 02-03-2020, 08:01 PM
4wd Low

the head unit theory was a bust. I got the truck to start randomly today and was able to do a clear and scan before it errored again and these were the errors with the truck working. (I marked out the unrelated errors I already know about)

FAULT 1 OF 8
ECU: Engine Management
CODE:P0116
Engine coolant temperature - circuit range/performance
(PENDING)
GENERAL SIGNAL FAILURE -
SIGNAL STAYS HIGH.

FAULT 2 OF 8
ECU: Body Control
CODE:B1C32
Steering column tilt solenoid
(PERMANENT)
GENERAL ELECTRICAL FAILURE -
CIRCUIT OPEN.

FAULT 3 OF 8
CODE:B1C33
Steering column tilt feedback signal
(PERMANENT)
FREQUENCY MODULATION/PULSE WIDTH MODULATION FAILURE -
INCORRECT, HAS TOO MANY PULSES.

FAULT 4 OF 8
CODE:B1C34
Steering column telescope solenoid
(PERMANENT)
GENERAL ELECTRICAL FAILURE -
CIRCUIT OPEN.

FAULT 5 OF 8
CODE:B1C35
Steering column telescope feedback signal
(PERMANENT)
FREQUENCY MODULATION/PULSE WIDTH MODULATION FAILURE -
INCORRECT, HAS TOO MANY PULSES.

FAULT 6 OF 8
MISSING A MESSAGE.

FAULT 7 OF 8
CODE:U0140
Lost communication with body control module / Loss of communication with central junction box
MISSING A MESSAGE.

FAULT 8 OF 8
IS NOT CONFIGURED.

Could it be the parking assist ECU that has a short? I will have a look at it tomorrow

Old 02-05-2020, 08:40 PM
4wd Low

FIXED!!

It was the parking assist unit. I crawled into the back of the truck and removed the unit, it was super easy. I still had errors after i removed the unit until I reset the truck. I used my nancom to reset, but I'm sure disconnecting the battery for a sec would have worked too.

On i side note, It seems like bad engineering that one faulty accessory would cause the entire vehicle to become inoperable. You would think land rover would have used a communication protocol that would ignored erroneous signals coming from a broken node on the BUS network, or at the very least used a separate BUS for missions critical systems... oh well, glad its working again

Old 02-10-2020, 07:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Westwood
FIXED!!

It was the parking assist unit. I crawled into the back of the truck and removed the unit, it was super easy. I still had errors after i removed the unit until I reset the truck. I used my nancom to reset, but I'm sure disconnecting the battery for a sec would have worked too.

On i side note, It seems like bad engineering that one faulty accessory would cause the entire vehicle to become inoperable. You would think land rover would have used a communication protocol that would ignored erroneous signals coming from a broken node on the BUS network, or at the very least used a separate BUS for missions critical systems... oh well, glad its working again

You would be suprised. All the manufacturers that run can communication have the same issues. Everything is connected and interlooped so one bad control unit can bring the whole system down.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:41 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Westwood
FIXED!!

Reviving an oldish thread as I'm having similar issues. I already know that I have issues with the Parking Brake Unit, as I'm currently not using the parking brake.

I bought the truck with a broken parking brake unit, and all other hardware completely missing. Not sure why the previous owner removed the parts, but regardless, the truck now has a complete replacement module, except for the brake shoes and associated hardware. I of course can't apply the brake yet because of the missing parts. I'm having a hard time associating the failure of the CANBUS/dash with the in-operation of the parking brake, especially that the module has been replaced.

1) Can you please confirm that your issues are still resolved after a few months
2) I gather from your post that you removed the unit completely, and that fixed your issue. Can you please confirm that?
3) Finally if so, can someone shed some light on why I would have similar problems with the CAN BUS, if I have a replacement unit in place? Surely all the CANBUS needs to know is whether the unit is in proper working order, but doesn't really care if the brake shoes are missing, or the actuator cables are connected to brake shoes??

Thank you - Samer

2007 RRS
2003 Disco II

Last edited by samer0214; 07-13-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear

Hello,

I have many of the same issues with my 2006 LR RR. How did you go about resolving the issue? My thoughts are to test canbus resisitance between high and low; at each module on BUS; etc.

Steve

Old 02-09-2023, 07:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

I’m gonna try and keep this thread alive as well as the original post might as well have been me or my wife writing it!!!!!

’11 RRS SC. All that the OP described is EXACTLY what her car is doing. We’ve dumped a BUNCH of $$$ into this: CJB, new cluster, now a new Indy shop is looking at the KVM.

Well, since we bought it only a year old from. rover dealer and still under factory warranty, the parking sensors have been wonky.

I’ve provided this to the Indy shop (gods in the Rover world) and they are investigating. But if someone has some updates here (OP????) you’d be a hero.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:11 AM
2nd Gear

Hello,

I would check the engine grounds. And, the grounds generally on the truck. Get a diagram (I have found diagrams, but they are not accurate with regard to color codes); have to ask around on the forum and let me know where you find them. You can buy a probe that will verify the ground it good; it connects to the battery for power. Once that's done, verify positive connections at battery and it is putting out 13V. Once that's done, do the following...

Get a pin diagram of the OBD port. Then locate "CAN BUS Troubleshooting guide (with video)" by Enovation Controls Help Center. Follow the directions for the tests and let me know what you find. I would use the chassis/signal ground (pin4 ) for your measurements when a ground is needed.

Let me know what you find? Write the result down.

Euro Tech