Range Rover Sport L494 (2013-present) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical failure - instrument cluster & infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical failure - instrument cluster & infotainment

Hi All. I was driving our 2017 RRS the other day when suddenly the instrument cluster and infotainment went black. I could still drive the car and after a few minutes both came back on again, but over the course of a couple of days this got more regular. Mrs Martylad then found she was unable to start the car. After leaving it for 20 mins she was able to start it and get it home, but since then we've been unable to start it at all. When we open the car the LR graphic comes up on the infotainment unit and the mileage shows on the instrument cluster but if I try to press the start button (either to try to start the car or just to turn on the electrics) then infotainment and instruments go completely black. Left alone, they'll then switch on again after a minute or so before switching off after thirty seconds, and repeat.

I've tried:
Disconnecting the battery to try to reset everything
Replacing the original battery (I did this myself and so wasn't able to register the new battery)

Neither has helped. The first time I can get the car into the dealer to have it looked at is 17th March (lockdown related issues), so I'd ideally like to try to get it sorted myself to get it on the road again. I'd be really grateful is anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:46 AM
3rd Gear

Update. Under the floor in the boot/trunk there's a cable that runs across the very back of the car. It looks like it should be fixed to the rear inside panel, but one of the connectors was resting on the metal floor. When I lifted it, there was the tiniest amount of water underneath - like one raindrop worth of water (not unexpected given the location, wet dogs, etc.). I disconnected the plug, dried it with a hairdryer, and now the whole car works perfectly again.

Hard to believe that a mighty RRS could be defeated by one raindrop :|

Old 03-22-2023, 07:13 PM
Default Hi

Hi i have the same problem with the instrument cluster
went off after rain and windows was open
can you help me how did you fix it?
thank you

Old 03-23-2023, 10:29 AM
3rd Gear

Hi Shady
I'm afraid I can't add much to what I already posted above - I don't have the car any more so I can't send pictures unfortunately.
In my case, I lifted the carpeted floor of the boot so that I could see the metal floor underneath. Resting on that metal floor at the very back of the car was a cable cluster. It was sitting in a tiny amount of water. I dried off the cable and the connector plug and everything started working again. I hope that helps.

Old 03-24-2023, 02:34 AM

What did you mean by the very back ?
the trunk ??

Old 03-28-2023, 06:05 PM

Where is the location of the cable and connector?