Range Rover Sport L494 (2013-present) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattle/buzzing sound in dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 11:23 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No! It’s booked in next week fingers crossed!!!

Old 02-24-2021, 03:41 PM
4th Gear

Did it fix the noise??

Old 09-18-2021, 01:13 AM
jcx
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoobyLou68
I have a very similar issue. on a 2021 RRS withthe new D300 engine. Did you resolve your rattle?

Mine occurs on cold start - not a hot start. It sounds like a thing rattling on another thing. it happens in park (engine running obvs) and in Drive but not in Reverse - both when foot in on the brake to stop any movement. It goes when i rev to around 1k rmp. It goes when i drive off therefore at more than 1k rpm. it is gone after 3-5 mins of driving.

Any ideas anyone?

Old 09-19-2021, 05:31 AM
jcx
4wd Low
Exclamation

Did you get a fix for your rattle?

Originally Posted by Nav Mallhi
hello everyone. i have a 2016 diesel sport. every morning upon startup and changing from park to reverse there is rattle noise coming from the dashboard.. i have uploaded a video and its the trrr/trrr sound. the tech at dealer said there was loose clip in fuel lines but the sound is still there.
How about you? Did you find a cause and get it fixed?

I have a new 2021 Range Rover Sport D300 and I too have a rattle (seemingly) behind the dash upon cold start. If i put the car into D for Drive with my foot on the brake the rattle or vibration gets a bit lounder. Put it into P for Park and take my foot off the brake and the noise is similar. Put it into R for Reverse with my foot on the brake the rattle or vibration all but goes. perhaps it is entirely gone but i am not certain. If i rev to around 1k RPM then the sound is gone regardless of gear position chosen. If i drive off the sound goes as the engine is above 1k RPM. After 3-5 minutes of driving the noise is gone when stationary. On warm start it is not there.

What do you guys think it could be? Sounds like a thing hitting a thing, like a vibration or rattlle. I suspect it is because something either needs to get up to pressure at which point it becomes stiff and stops vibrating or because a thing gets warm and expands to become more rigid thus no longer vibrating. Heat is clearly a factor. could it be AC? Brake lines? Fuel lines? some other hydraulic line? A heat shield?

Any help will be grandly rewarded with thanks :-)

Old 09-20-2021, 03:40 AM
jcx
4wd Low
Default Suffering a similar issue

Originally Posted by Nav Mallhi
hello everyone. i have a 2016 diesel sport. every morning upon startup and changing from park to reverse there is rattle noise coming from the dashboard.. i have uploaded a video and its the trrr/trrr sound. the tech at dealer said there was loose clip in fuel lines but the sound is still there.

I have a new 2021 Range Rover Sport D300 and I too have a rattle (seemingly) behind the dash upon cold start. If i put the car into D for Drive with my foot on the brake the rattle or vibration gets a bit lounder. Put it into P for Park and take my foot off the brake and the noise is similar. Put it into R for Reverse with my foot on the brake the rattle or vibration all but goes. perhaps it is entirely gone but i am not certain. If i rev to around 1k RPM then the sound is gone regardless of gear position chosen. If i drive off the sound goes as the engine is above 1k RPM. After 3-5 minutes of driving the noise is gone when stationary. On warm start it is not there.

What do you guys think it could be? Sounds like a thing hitting a thing, like a vibration or rattlle. I suspect it is because something either needs to get up to pressure at which point it becomes stiff and stops vibrating or because a thing gets warm and expands to become more rigid thus no longer vibrating. Heat is clearly a factor. could it be AC? Brake lines? Fuel lines? some other hydraulic line? A heat shield?

The following users liked this post:
Max619 (04-10-2023)
Old 10-03-2021, 09:15 AM
jcx
4wd Low

Apologies for the double posts above - I think they got queued up for moderation as they were my first post attempts.

I have made some progress fixing my rattle. By which I mean that I have identified the cause and I have for the time being implemented a temporary fix.

By sitting my daughter in the driver's seat, to listen for the rattle and to wave at me when the rattle was no more while I grabbed at different pipes in the engine bay, I found that one chunky (maybe 15mm) metal pipe in the back of the engine bay just forwards of the firewall was the cause of the rattle/vibration on cold start. When I held onto it the rattle in the cabin stopped. when I let go it started again. I found that it appears to have some minor play right behind the engine almost centrally. It is one of two pipes in this area that pass into the passenger cell through the firewall just behind the steering wheel (car is RHD) which makes me think they may be AC pipes.

For now, I have packed the pipes off the bulkhead with pipe lagging to limit movement and noise and it appears to be cured. Of course, I don’t think it should be vibrating and making a noise anyway but at least now I can have a quieter life until it visits a dealer for a proper fix and when it does go into the dealer I can tell them precisely the problem so that they are not wasting time.

What are your collective thoughts? Are these pipes AC pipes?

Old 11-01-2021, 09:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Not sure if you have fixed completely your rattle, but I can tell you (90%) that is coming from the fan of the Head Up Display unit. I had EXACTLY the same noise with mine.
Mine was a CPO and dealer changed the entire unit. Afterwards, noise gone !
It is a known issue with these models, especially from 2013-2016 models.
Best of luck to you.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:23 AM
jcx
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Not sure if you have fixed completely your rattle, but I can tell you (90%) that is coming from the fan of the Head Up Display unit. I had EXACTLY the same noise with mine.
Mine was a CPO and dealer changed the entire unit. Afterwards, noise gone !
It is a known issue with these models, especially from 2013-2016 models.
Best of luck to you.
Thanks for responding. I don't have the heads-up display in my 2021 model. But I have sort of fixed the issue - by packing the pipes as mentioned in my earlier post with pictures i have stopped the noise. it does came back after a week or two so i just need to adjust the pipe lagging as it moves and it is good again. I'll get the dealer to look at it when it goes in for something else.

Old 04-10-2023, 02:56 PM
5th Gear
Default Rattling Noise

I spoke too soon, I still have the issue. Car booked in next week, fingers crossed this time it will be fixed.
hello, did you manage to identify where the rattling came from?

Old 04-10-2023, 03:59 PM
5th Gear
Default Rattle

Originally Posted by jcx

Did you ever manage to find out what caused the rattling

Quick Reply: rattle/buzzing sound in dashboard