Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

1996 Land Rover Discovery (Parts or fix?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Land Rover Discovery (Parts or fix?)

Ok I know I'm new here but basically here is the scenario. I bought this car. Great looking land rover. Great paint, interior is in great condition except a tear in the drivers seat, car has 75k miles on it, 4x4 works great, a/c works great, transmission shifts well, good tires, etc.

Problem is on my way home, The head gasket blew. Coolant ran right down the back of the block. The car still runs and everything but it can't do much more than getting on a trailer or in a parking spot.

I have the head gasket kit from land rover which could be a fairly easy job for someone more experienced with these cars.

If you have any questions please let me know. I hope it's ok for me to post this here being so new but really I'm in a bad spot and I'm just trying to recoup half of what I spent on the car.

I figure it's a great parts car for everything if you have a discovery or you can fix it and have a second rover to drive.

The kit has both head gaskets, all the seals including the valve guide seals and the bolts. It comes with everything you need to fix it. I just don't have the place to do it or the time to get it done. I'm in school full time and work full time and I live in an apartment complex. lol!

Let me know what you think. I have been asking $2500 for it but I really only NEED $2000. I have about $4800 tied up in it right now. So any help right now would be great.

Vehicle is in Chattanooga, TN. You can pick up or have delivered. I am pretty firm on $2000 so if you live far away, give me $2000 and have it shipped at your cost I guess. If you want to talk to me PM me and I'll send you my number or give me your's and I'll call you asap.

Thanks for anything you can tell me or give me.

John

Old 06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 1996 Land Rover Discovery (Parts or fix?)

BTW guys if you have offers for me, let me know. I may come down on the price as time goes on or if you were willing to do something soon. I'm willing to work with people... I just got screwed in this deal and I'm trying to get anything I can back. Don't be shy.

The vehicle will come with the head gasket rebuild kit to either resell or use yourself if you plan on parting the car out.

I may even consider selling them seperately if someone has a need for the kit and may not want to pay the $500+ it costs for the new kit.

Thanks again guys.

Just as a reference I got an offer from a scrap yard that was $1200. I think thats pretty fair from a scrap yard but it's a perfectly good truck other than the head gasket and I'd hate to see that go to waste.

John

Old 06-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Throw it on E-bay. I would take it, but it is too far for me to get.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:55 PM
3rd Gear

I thought about that but I've never had an Ebay account and most people will not buy unless the person has uber great props or points or whatever their rating system is.

I was thinking of bringing to a local dealer auction for the buy here pay here guys. Alot of them have their own mechanics that may be mechanically inclined enough to fix it. But either way. I'm still making every effort to sell it but if it sparks someones interest just let me know and we can work something out.

Depending on how much shipping was, I'd ship it to you if you were to pay the $2000 asking price. If it cost a grand to ship then IDK but if it were only like $500 or so I could swing up to that.

John