Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

1998 RR 4.6 HSE / Sell Outright or Part Out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 RR 4.6 HSE / Sell Outright or Part Out?

Hi,

I have a 1998 Range Rover 4.6 HSE I am trying to sell but I am confused about how to go about it.

The problem with the Range Rover from what the mechanic stated is a flat cam however before this even happened the Range Rover had a deep knocking noise which I was told is common in these vehicles (different mechanic) but will only get worse.

I really like this vehicle and I sat in turmoil for quite awhile as to how to proceed. Do I repair it by spending 2 – 3k on a motor or parts or do I sell it. I decided to sell it which brings me to a new problem do I part it out or sell it outright?

I researched selling it outright and parting it out. Outright it looks as if it could go for 2 – 4k but probably only 1.5 – 2k. Parting it out looks as if it would bring 6 – 8k.

I am leaning toward parting it out and would like to know if anyone else has gone through this process or if I am looking at the situation incorrectly and should sell it outright. This has been a tough decision for me to come to as like I stated before I really like this vehicle, I feel that up until the engine went out it has been the best most reliable vehicle I have had.

Any input about what other members have done to sell their vehicles would be greatly appreciated.

Some fast specs.

• 1998 4.6 HSE
  • ~189,000 miles
  • 18 inch original rims with 275/65r18 (8PR 119/1160) tires.
  • non op
  • body has been cut under the back seat in order to make an access hatch to replace the fuel pump.
  • interior is a little messy
  • The exterior has some minor dents and a lot of scratches. While I never used it for serious off road I did spend a lot time in the woods back packing and trail driving so the trees took their toll on the paint.
  • Transfer case, transmission and differentials are all in good working order and I have never had any issues with them.
  • The air suspension has been replaced with coil and spring suspension.

Thanks in advance for the input and help.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

If all you need is a cam, that's certainly not enough of a reason to kill off a truck you really enjoy. Ideally, you should do the heads, install new lifters, rebuilt the oil pump and go for a new cam. You'd be in there so why not do the job right. The cost will be worth more than the truck but you'd have a solid runner when you're finished and how much would it cost to replace as nice a truck as the one you know so well?

As far as parting is concerned, I think you're a bit on the optimistic side expecting to get somewhere between $6-$8K out of the truck. Remember, it does have high mileage so key components in the drivetrain will not fetch the kind of money you expect.

Also, factory in time, S P A C E and your own ability to disassembly a truck.

It takes time and an appropriate amount of skinned knuckles to strip a truck. I don't know how much you value your time but parts just don't fall off when you sell them.

Have you taken the time to contemplate how much space a disassembled truck takes up? Figure at least three times as much space as when it was whole. You may or may not have the room to do this.

Are you in a position to remove an engine, disassemble an axle assembly or remove a dash? I don't know but this things may be beyond the ability of some people to perform.

Are you ready to deal with the phone calls seven days a week, the emails at all hours, the texts all requesting info, pricing, shipping costs, ect. Are you in a position to crate and ship an engine or box up dozens of small sensors, ***** and switches?

Finally, is your wife or your neighbors willing to put up with this sort of endeavor?

I only bring this stuff up because I have been parting out Rovers for well over ten years. I think a lot of people think it's an easy task. It's not all that complicated but I can tell you it's a lot easier for me today to strip a truck to the shell in ten days than it was when I first started. I also know it takes a certain amount of juggling and it is extremely difficult to keep everyone who buys something from me happy.

So, if you have time, plenty of space and understanding family and neighbors, give it a go. The worst that could happen is you throw in the towel and call the junkyard to come and pick up the remains. But I warn you, even if you came close to grossing $6K out of your Rover, the reality of what you actual net would be ridiculously low.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that escalated quickly.

Sorry I always wanted to say that.

Those are great and valid points. And while I do have the knowledge and time to take it apart I lack the space which I honestly had not thought about.

I was all for replacing the cam. Then I realized much as you have pointed out that I may as well do some other things as well. Thing is with the deep knock and not knowing what it is I would have to pretty much put new bearings on the crank and pistons, new rings maybe sleeves... pretty much a full top and bottom rebuild. which last I checked comes out to almost what a junk yard (if you can find them) motor goes for about 2k.

Unless you guys know of something I do not. I turned to four of these RR type sites because I am no expert and defer to people such as yourself who have experience with this stuff and know what they are truly doing.

Thanks for the reply, BTW.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Do you really enjoy the truck? Do you feel confident in doing a rebuild on your own? If you answered yes to both questions then I don't see why you wouldn't want to do this as opposed to selling the truck or parting it. A $2K junkyard engine isn't the answer. You have no idea what you'll actually be getting. Spending something in the vicinity of that to do a rebuild, at least you'll know what condition the engine is really in.

You've already mentioned you have the time. You also mentioned that the truck had been reliable up until this point. I can't imagine why you'd be so quick to sell off or part it out? Do the work and you'll feel confident that you'll get, potentially, another 100K out of the motor.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

You should mark this date "The Slayer of all that is Land Rover" has just shown mercy on your P-38.