Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2002 Land Rover Discovery SE - "Recently Washed"

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Land Rover Discovery SE - "Recently Washed"

I need to part with my Disco after the water incident.

This is my 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series II SE with just over 121,000 miles on it. It may be more fitting to call it a Sea Rover Discovery. By that, I mean it took a swim in 6 feet of clean icy cold water with me in it. Yes, it went through thin ice on Lake Koshkonong. It was removed from the lake about 15 hours after going in and has been kept in a heated environment since being removed from the lake.

The engine oil, transmission fluid, differential fluid, and transfer case fluid were drained immediately and replaced with fresh fluids. They will most likely need to be changed a few times to ensure all water has been evacuated from the various components. The brake fluid, power steering fluid, and active cornering enhancement fluid look clean and the systems seem to function properly. We (fellow shop mechanics and I) checked the fuel tank and did not find traces of water in the fuel.

After letting the truck dry for a week, we did manage to start and run the engine. The engine ran smoothly and showed no signs of broken components from within. We were able to drive the truck onto and off of a car hauler when I moved the truck from the shop to my personal heated garage.

The state of the electronics is difficult to tell. There are systems in the truck that are working, for example: the air suspension will adjust to and maintain the proper ride height. I think many of the computers may actually be working, but are not allowed to function properly due to water still intruding into some of the relays/fuses/connections. The power windows are currently working, I have not tested the rest of the interior systems.

All interior components were removed from the vehicle and let to dry in a heated shop - the carpets, floor mats, and door panels are all dry. The seats are still a bit damp (that foam sucks up a lot of water!). The headliner was never submerged and was perfectly dry when the truck was removed from the lake. As the truck sits, the interior components are uninstalled and inside the truck (no room in the garage to set everything out).

The exterior is in relatively good condition - only a couple panels, the front bumper, 2 windows, and a few light fixtures will need to be replaced if you plan to recondition the vehicle. Take a look at the photos for more details.

This is the SE model with all of the options except for rear-AC. It has dual sunroofs, heated seats, self leveling rear suspension, active cornering enhancement and more. The wheels and tires are undamaged - they are the 18" "Hurricane" wheels (the finish may need a bit of reconditioning, but they are true) wrapped in 18" 255/55/18 Nitto Terra Grappler tires with under 6,000 miles on them. I recently replaced the brakes with DBA Street Series Gold rotors (slotted and drilled) and EBC Green Stuff pads.

Currently, the truck is not road worthy. I have no doubt that the vehicle could be repaired and reconditioned to pre-lake condition for a reasonable amount of money (if I had to guess, parts would less than $2,000). I don't have the time or patience to do so at this time - trust me, I wish I did as I really like this truck; it was incredible on and off the road. Reconditioned electronics, interior components, and exterior components can be purchased at extremely reasonable prices from Roverland Parts, new parts can be purchased at deeply discounted prices from Atlantic British, Ltd.. If you were to part the vehicle out, the undamaged components would easily bring more than $2,200.

I have a clean title with no liens on it. I'm asking $2,200 at this time, but I will entertain all reasonable offers. Currently the truck is in a single place garage heated to 80 degrees with a dehumidifier running constantly. It is not road worthy, so it will need to be put it on a trailer of some sort to pick it up. I me able to work out delivery to your residence within a reasonable distance for small fee.

PM me if you're interested.

Here are a few photos of the truck when it arrived at the shop and while in the shop: