Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2003 Discovery SE - Great Parts Car - Lifted - ARB -

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 04:38 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Discovery SE - Great Parts Car - Lifted - ARB -

Selling my 2003 Discovery SE Top Hat Linered 4.6L about 50k miles ago. The engine rebuild and all maintenance through 2016 was done by Columbia Roving in Portland, I bought directly from them. - It currently has a lower end block issue on the 5th cylinder, as it has low compression and leaks oil now from this issue (It never leaked oil before this). I had it checked out by Surrey Motors, he said to figure out exactly what the issue was would mean taking the engine apart which was quite costly, then paying to fix the problem which could be anything from worst case scenario cracked block, to something else not so bad. He recommended a rebuilt or new engine as it would probably be the same price as getting to the issue and fixing it keeping the old engine. I cannot afford either as I have put a lot into this car the last 2 years and own another car as well that is my main driver. The vehicle does drive, just roughly as there is hardly any compression in the 5th cylinder.

Looking for $2000 or best reasonable offer as there is alot of parts & aftermarket value in this rig - This Land Rover is perfect for anyone that already owns a clean 2003 and wants to add some great upgrades, wants some aftermarket goodies, and some recently installed core vehicle parts as noted below for backup situations. Or someone willing to address the current engine issue, rebuilt it or drop a new engine in it - It has a low scrape down the passenger side to the back corner - which is why it has a rebuilt title. It's all cosmetic and does not effect the doors or frame. This happened in prior to me owning the vehicle, and has not been an issue for me.

This vehicle has been my son and I's weekend adventure rig to the mountains, it handles amazing on the freeway or off road. I've also used it as my daily driver when needed. I've had it in 3+ feet of snow breaking trail, up muddy logging roads, out camping in the cascades, towed small ATV trailers and overall been a great maintenance car to own as I did all the work when I could......I love to tinker and work on cars.

That being said, this new issue is too expensive for me to fully investigate and fix, it's clearly something pretty serious in the lower end according to the mechanic (Owner Operator of Surrey). It was smoked tested and then pressure tested which led to the cylinder findings in the 5th. He said worse case scenario was an engine rebuild and re-milling the block to fix it most likely, or possibly it's a faulty rod, valve ring etc (this was a few months ago, I have the paperwork).

I had the Head Gasket rebuilt and sealed in November of 2016 at Biggs Land Rover in Bellevue - small leak found after I purchased it, 90% compression in 3.

The car had the intake manifold rebuilt, sealed and new injector heads in January of 2017 at Surrey Motors - preventative maintenance and upgrade due to small vacuum leak found while smoke testing in one of the injector head seals.

New Tires Last Year (15k miles on them) - 265/70R18 Back Country Heavy Tread All Seasons - Les Schwab $800

ARB Bull BAR Front Winch Bumper - Bought & Installed @ Mule Expedition in January 2016 - Includes Land Rover Factory Fog Lights - Bumper was $1500 with tax (not including install)

IPF 900 Off ROad Lights - Independent Switch - Purchased in 2016 for $250

Vision Fog Lights - Light Cannons - Independent Switch - Purchased in 2017 for $250

TerraFirma 3" Lift with HD Springs - 2+" Travel Shocks - HD Steering Damper Shock -

Romik Nerf Bars -

Borla Stainless Exhaust -

Tow Package - & Pin and flat 4 wiring harness -

Cold Weather Package - heated front & rear windshield, side mirrors and seats

Rubber Mats and Cargo Mat

Brakes were just checked at Les Schwab and are more than 50%

Fully Rebuilt Transfer Case

Upgraded Sound system - JBL Speakers all around -

Custom Built in Rockford Fosgate Subwoofer in back of car (hidden in 3rd row side seat slot) with Amp under front seat -

Stock Radio with 6 Disc Changer

Newly replaced Radiator, Water Pump

New replaced Front Tie Rods/Ends

Freshly Serviced Differential, Transfer Case and Radiator

The car has never overheated - Nice climate here in Western Washington

I have the Transmission Filter and tuneup kit with lower pan that I was about to do before this issue occurred.

New o2 Sensors

I also have a massive amount of support items for the car also, like extra parts, hoses, thermo, wiring, bulbs and tons and tons of fluids and cleaning supplies. I did all the transfer case, differential, transmission, radiator and oil changes on the car myself. I have a bluetooth code reader for the car as well, it works with an app on your phone so you can assess and troubleshoot on the fly or when you are in the backcountry.

Please feel free to email or text me if interested or with an offer. The car does start and drive, although with a blinking CEL it's not a good idea as that means the CATs are being actively destroyed from the fuel in the uncompressed cylinder. But it could be driven a small distance to show that it runs and drives fine, or to your location if purchased. I can also provide the code history from my app.

Thank You

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Discovery SE - Great Parts Car - Lifted - ARB --land-rover-1.jpg   2003 Discovery SE - Great Parts Car - Lifted - ARB --land-rover-2.jpg   2003 Discovery SE - Great Parts Car - Lifted - ARB --land-rover-3.jpg   2003 Discovery SE - Great Parts Car - Lifted - ARB --land-rover-4.jpg