Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Detroit/Truetrac D2

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit/Truetrac D2

SOLD
Detroit rear and front Truetrac set-up in thirds with stock gears for D2.
$850. delivered to the lower 48.

Last edited by roverDII; 03-29-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Killa' deal. GLWS

Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you decide to split them up let me know. Ill take the truetrac

Old 03-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Mudding
Default I am a novice

please explain these parts, I know very little but also looking at building an offroad d2.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 AM
4wd Low

great deal! is the backlash and spacing already set ready to toss them in or do i have to set them up? i should have the dough to do it this coming weekend if you dont sell them by then.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by NCguy
please explain these parts, I know very little but also looking at building an offroad d2.
ahhh the age old question, here's the best way to explain it

The differential is essentially one link in the chain of components that transmit power from a car or truck's engine to the wheels.
The differential transmits different amounts of power to the wheels at a right angle from the drive shaft to one of the car's axles.
A locking differential will transmit the same amount of power to both wheels on the axle - which is very useful in 4WD applications where a truck might be stuck and have problems getting out of deep mud or snow.
Limited slip and open differentials will allow the wheels to get varying amounts of power from the engine, affecting the amount of traction your wheels can attain.
For instance if you are in a 4x4 truck and you are stuck on some rocks with one wheel in the air, an open differential senses that one wheel of the axle isn't getting much traction and will send more power to the wheel in the air, which is ineffective.
But if you have a locker, it will apply the same amount of power to both and you'll be able to get free.

now your thinking, well why not put a locker in the front too? well, it would drive like a champ off road true, BUT take a turn at 30 mph with the front end locked up and best of luck! just make sure you articulate to your insurance company why you couldn't turn your truck and slammed into that other car. due to our vehicles being full time 4wd, the best solutions for traction to the front wheels are LSD and air lockers, LSD's are more economical, air lockers are expensive (but amazing).

Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Mudding

Thank you very much for the explination, why would the manufacturer install these from the begining, expecially the higher end manufacturers, like LD?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Pmd you on 2 sites about them early this morning, money in hand I'll come up from San Diego and grab em.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Overlanding

Pending on LRRF

Detroit/Truetrac D2

Old 03-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xDarkMourningx
ahhh the age old question, here's the best way to explain it

The differential is essentially one link in the chain of components that transmit power from a car or truck's engine to the wheels.
The differential transmits different amounts of power to the wheels at a right angle from the drive shaft to one of the car's axles.
A locking differential will transmit the same amount of power to both wheels on the axle - which is very useful in 4WD applications where a truck might be stuck and have problems getting out of deep mud or snow.
Limited slip and open differentials will allow the wheels to get varying amounts of power from the engine, affecting the amount of traction your wheels can attain.
For instance if you are in a 4x4 truck and you are stuck on some rocks with one wheel in the air, an open differential senses that one wheel of the axle isn't getting much traction and will send more power to the wheel in the air, which is ineffective.
But if you have a locker, it will apply the same amount of power to both and you'll be able to get free.

now your thinking, well why not put a locker in the front too? well, it would drive like a champ off road true, BUT take a turn at 30 mph with the front end locked up and best of luck! just make sure you articulate to your insurance company why you couldn't turn your truck and slammed into that other car. due to our vehicles being full time 4wd, the best solutions for traction to the front wheels are LSD and air lockers, LSD's are more economical, air lockers are expensive (but amazing).
now i know. thanks for that. now i have to figure out how to service my simple stock one.