Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Diesel Discovery2 with a manual trans for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It got flagged again. I have it listed on Bellingham’s Craigslist which is where the truck is located. I’ll paste the link in a few days if it doesn’t get flagged again! Just search Land Rover Diesel, it should come right up

Old 03-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn, flagged again. What's wrong with your CL ad?

Old 03-22-2017, 09:46 PM
4wd Low

Who knows why? It is frustrating though!

Old 03-23-2017, 06:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Why not just put your ad content here?

Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 AM
4wd Low

I guess I was just being lazy. Here's the content of my ad:

Over the past two years I've spent countless hours converting my 2000 Land Rover Discovery2 into a Diesel. The chassis/body has 130K miles. The Engine is a remanufactured high performance 200TDI built by Turner Engineering in the UK. The Land Rover 200TDI engine was a stock engine choice in 1989-1994 Discoveries around the world. This engine has around 1500 miles on it. The manual transmission (LT77) and transfer case are out of a UK spec. 1993 Discovery and have around 115K miles on them. Some people ask me why I didn't do a Td5 or 300TDI conversion. The short answer is that I set out to build the most reliable, robust Discovery2 out there. Although a good powertrain, the Td5 does have it's share of known issues. The 200 and 300 TDI engines a very similar. I decided on the 200TDI due to a little more simplicity and better cooling design. This is a professional conversion. I am a European car technician in Bellingham, WA with twenty years of experience focusing on Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW and Audi. Much of my experience is with diesel vehicles.

This is a seven passenger model without sunroofs-you know, the ones that leak!

There are no warning lights on the dash, the glow plug indicator works. ABS still functions, All gauges function properly except for the tachometer. I do have an idea and the parts required to make the tach. function but haven't gotten around to it.

New/spare parts are easily available either from the UK via DHL or can be found here in the US due this being a popular drivetrain for the Land Rover Defender. Here's a list of new parts that were installed during the process;

Turner Engineering 200TDI engine with a high performance "gas flowed" cylinder head
Timing belt with new tensioner and rollers
Water pump
Thermostat
Harmonic balancer (crank pulley)
Glow plugs
Glow plug control unit
Drive belts
Radiator
Radiator hoses
Heater hoses
Filters
Fuel pump (lift pump)
Wastegate actuator
Breather cylone (oil separator)
Clutch
Pressure plate
Throw out bearing
Clutch fork
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch slave hose
Transmission mount
Front differential (final drive)
Front CV joints
Brakes
Battery
Tires (Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Overland Journal editor's choice and value award 2014)
Diff fluids
Transmission fluid
Transfer case fluid
Plus all the other stuff I'm forgetting......

In addition to the tachometer, the cruise control and A/C currently don't work either. Air conditioning could easily function again with some parts off of a Disco1.

I also have 2 spare cylinder heads, a spare injection pump and all sorts of other spares and gaskets.

I've been averaging 25MPG in town. I haven't done much highway driving but I'm told a 200TDI will get 30-34 MPG on the highway in a Disco1, which makes sense.

I'm open to trades plus or minus cash. Currently we are looking for a seven passenger SUV or van, preferably less than ten (maybe even fifteen) years old with under 125K miles. Something like an LR3, X5, Mercedes ML, GL, even an R-class.

Last edited by quattom; 05-05-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The obvious question, after so much work, why the sale? The other obvious question, what's your asking price?

Old 03-24-2017, 10:33 PM
4wd Low

I really hate to sell it but my wife will not drive a stick. We are probably going to replace it with an LR3. Currently I'm asking $13,000.

Last edited by quattom; 04-13-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 AM
4wd Low

It's still for sale as of 10/18/17. I've reduced it to $12,500 and I'm not going to go much lower. I love it and drive it everyday!

Old 10-18-2017, 01:35 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by quattom
It's still for sale as of 10/18/17. I've reduced it to $12,500 and I'm not going to go much lower. I love it and drive it everyday!
Would you be willing/able to do this conversion again? What would you charge for something like that?

Old 10-19-2017, 09:58 AM
4wd Low

Well Attworth, This conversion took WAY too much of my time for me to do another. After sorting out warning lights and analog to digital gauge signals I spent well over 40 hours (maybe even 80+) on it and I still havent gotten around to a tachometer or A/C. Sure you can have it running and driving after 12-16 hours of work, but it's far from done.

To give you an idea though, I spent more than $12k in parts. The Turner longblock alone was $5500 after freight and a conversion kit with an LT77 trans. without engine was $3300. Then of course a new clutch kit, mounts, NEW radiator, gaskets, hoses, etc. (most of which were purchased at wholesale prices through work) quickly added up! IF I was willing to do this again, I would quote $15-20K.

Quick Reply: Diesel Discovery2 with a manual trans for sale