Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

FS: One-of-a-Kind 1985 / 1995 RHD Land Rover D90

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014 | 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

The diffs can literally be swapped in the driveway with a ratchet set, a few box end wrenches, jack and jack stands. Usually about 3 hours of work if that. Swapping the third members is as simple as it comes. I helped swap a front diff on the side of a muddy mountain in the rain in VT at midnight, it's that easy.

The 10 splines aren't a real big issue if you don't think full throttle is the solution. The inherently weak 4.70 gears behind a v8 are.

Your other problem is the price point your at for the 90. Ones with the correct diffs and a v8 have been selling in the low to mid teens for years. Your original price was well into clean NAS 90 prices. For a ROW 90 high teens will probably be difficult. Your ebay auctions are pointing out where the market is at. Unfortunately you will never recoup the cost of all the labor to get that 90 in drive-able condition.

Not trying to be a dick just being honest with what I have seen in the market over the last few years.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 10-06-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2014 | 06:50 AM
|
4wd High

Well then it's a good thing we're negotiable on the price. Thanks for your interest, once again.

Old 10-07-2014 | 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Also, the rear axle is full float, you don't even have to jack the car up to replace the rear diff. Just remove the rear drive shaft (8 nuts/bolts or just 4 if you just pull the diff side free), remove both axle shafts (I think 6 bolts on each side), and remove the diff. (10 nuts, I think). It really isn't something you need to pay someone labor to swap, and it's a good, someone easy start on working on your own vehicle, which in my opinion is the only way to go on an old Land Rover. Save your money for the really hard jobs. Or the stuff that might require special tools.... which there isn't much on a 90 that does.

I'm planning on swapping my front axle on my 90 to a disco axle this weekend, so I should have both 10 spline diffs for you. I'm not sure exactly how expensive they are to ship, but I think someone once said they'd fit in a 5 gallon bucket for shipping? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Last edited by jafir; 10-07-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-07-2014 | 11:40 AM
|
4wd High

Thankfully, someone is coming down to the shop where the Rover is currently stored to have his truck worked on, and has expressed sufficient interest in my gears that he is willing to swap his 3.54 gears for my 4.7 gears, and do the work himself. Either way, the Defender is going out the door, but this might help it.

Old 10-07-2014 | 12:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
I think someone once said they'd fit in a 5 gallon bucket for shipping? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
Not applicable to this particular thread anymore since the OP has stated other plans. But Yes, they will fit in a 5 gallon bucket. Just cut a round piece of plywood to reinforce the bottom of the bucket. Drop the diff into the bucket. Stick the lid on and screw a few sheetrock screws through the lid to hold it on. Slap a label on it and Bob's your uncle.

If you want to be really nice you can put the diff in a plastic bag and fill the bucket with Great Stuff expanding foam.

Anyway back on topic.... GLWTS