Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I made a roof rack for the LR3 or LR4 - strutracks

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 12:31 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I made a roof rack for the LR3 or LR4 - strutracks

Hello, I made a simple metal roof rack for the LR3 or LR4 out of Unistrut material, then powder coated it the same exact color as my factory roof rails and it turned out pretty nice, so I made 12 extras (six "slim" and six "regular" size) to see if anyone else was interested. Very basic: Strutracks.com. Thanks for looking!

The following users liked this post:
mawRover (07-16-2021)
Old 08-29-2019, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

So this in my opinion would be cross bars not a roof rack.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223255666273

Or universal

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254172941977

Also is this a for sale ad?

Last edited by ArmyRover; 08-29-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:12 PM
7th Gear

Fair enough. I was just putting it out there in case anyone wanted something made of metal, and with a different look than the standard. I am well aware of those plastic parts. Owning a LR, one tends to get fed up with plastic very very quickly (a factory plastic T bleeder coolant valve that's programmed to only last X amount of years, for example).

Old 08-29-2019, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Moved to the for sale section please add a price in keeping with the forum rules

Old 08-29-2019, 07:23 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

What exactly are you selling for $225 ? Just the two bars and screws to mount?

You can buy powder coated (different colors even) unistrut in 4ft lengths for around $25 each.

So, what are you adding that costs $175? Any special features or hardware or other benefits besides the channel and mounting hardware?

Edit: another consideration, as mentioned, is these are really cross bars, with that in mind, did you look into what would actually attach to these... Besides the unistrut brackets and hardware.... Where I'm going with that is many companies, Thule, Yakima etc make their attachmennts to fit standard cross bars, whether it be rectangular steel bar or aeroblade styles. You may be introducing more headaches than you are solving.

That said, it's a good cheap way to attach non standard roof rack. Like a surco or other entry level product. But again, that can be had for around $50-60.

Last edited by badfysh; 08-29-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:16 PM
7th Gear

I am selling a roof rack. When you see a car with cross bars do you say to yourself or others "nice cross bars"?? In any case, I am selling my roof rack for the price it's at because of the time put into it. If you think it's just a couple cross bars (aka roof rack) with just a few bolts, nuts and washers, you can just go make one yourself. The catch? All the "justs". Car mechanics don't charge your for the part itself, because there is a lot of time put into it, and time is money. If you were to just go buy said $25 unistrut, then what? Ohp. Back to the store to find out the EXACT fastening combination to attach it. People sell (and buy) things out of convenience. That's the whole point. The features are listed on the website strutracks.com. The entire benefit IS the channel material itself as the expansions are unlimited but I realize only people familiar with unistrut material know this (that's why I put the unistrut youtube video on my strutracks.com website). I DID look into what attaches to these and the fact is, many many things do. It's full of holes to mount things to, and the one thing (of many) I used my rack for is the bicycle fork mounts to haul bikes. I do realize the mainstream companies have all the over-priced premolded attachments so your canoe or kayak fits snugly in a foam molding rather than directly on a cold hard metal bar (because inanimate objects have feelings too), but the truth is you don't need a fancy curved attachment to strap anything to your roof. Just lay it down and strap it down. Same with a lot of other things people haul on the top of their car.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:01 AM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Interesting...
Fyi, I find myself calling these load bars as well - I do not see a roof rack from the adapted language of a consumer point of view.
Seems simple enough, Good luck.

mmbirtcher (01-28-2021)
Old 10-22-2019, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oh'six rover
I am selling a roof rack. When you see a car with cross bars do you say to yourself or others "nice cross bars"?? .
No I see the crossbars and think I bet they wish they bought a roof rack.

In today's day and age I guess you can call it whatever you wish. Seems like however an apple is being called an orange.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 10-22-2019 at 09:01 AM.
mmbirtcher (01-28-2021)
Old 10-22-2019, 12:39 PM
7th Gear

You're correct. I can call it whatever I like.... as we're all wrong since they're actually called Channel Struts. Not cross bars or load bars. Arbitrary but thanks for your input. Any feedback helps. I've had no complaints from those who have purchased them.