ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Designed for the Extraordinary

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Designed for the Extraordinary

I hesitated to post this because I was sure it would get moved, and the other parts of this forum are not that popular. But I decided to post it anyway.

I found out about this group called B.A.R.F. (Balkan Aid Relief Foundation) through none other than watching videos of Land Rovers on YouTube. This was a group of Land Rover enthusiasts who transported much needed aid to the children of the war scarred country of Bosnia. And though I'm sad to report that this charity was dissolved at the end of 2010, it made one hell of an impact in the 12 years it was around. I'd be lying if it didn't start ideas in my head of forming something like B.A.R.F. here in the United States, I'm just really not sure how I'd go about doing such a thing.

I just wanted to share this video here because I thought it was a fantastic view of the positive impact that Land Rovers can make on the lives of the less fortunate.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=45741322424

Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cousin of mine who did lots of volunteer work over the years for UNICEF told me once that they always accept volunteers and their vehicles for participation in convoys/charity work in underdeveloped countries around the world.
As far as setting such an organization here in the States, I'd imagine is has to be set up and run as a not-for-profit organization/entity?
Are you thinking of a charity functioning during natural disasters only? Or helping with transporting foodstuff and others to remote areas on a regular basis?

btw: if that ever happens, I'm game! since I own my own business these days and it seems like it's taking off OK, so I'll probably
have some time on my hands to give back somehow, while driving what I love! That will make it double the fun for sure!

Last edited by CT fan; 02-18-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How would we start doing that? I think it would be a great idea, and personally have been thinking of this myself (actually skipping college for a year or two when I graduate high school to go do some missionary/volunteer relief work in foreign countries)

Old 02-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I gave it some hard thought about it on my way into work today. My only disadvantage is that I work on someone elses clock, and it's not exactly easy to just say "Hey boss, I'm delivering aid to people that just got hit by a tornado. I'll be back Tuesday." Something like this takes serious planning, and I need to do some research.

I'd seriously thought about doing volunteer work in the Balkans even before I learned about B.A.R.F. which is why I'm sad it's been dissolved. From the way I understand it, the rising cost of fuel is what cause the downfall, and that itself is a damn shame. Some c*ck is lining is pockets with oil money, while others live in squalor.

Let me get some research going. I'll report back once I talk to some people.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thats pretty cool.
May I suggest that you start with www.thecommon.org
I am a member through my church and it is local people with needs posting their need and then you can choose to help.
The type of help varies, it could be food, clothes, furniture, a ride to the Dr., I fixed a old ladies lawn mower.
The best part about it is is local, so you are helping people in your city, and its all free.
It is best if you hook up with a church if you really want to help, my church www.marshill.org, works with relief groups in Africa, Haiti and Costa Rica.
We do lots of mission trips to help stop hunger, help set up water filters to provide clean drinking water and build shelters.
For a year we borrowed church members RV's and sent people to Louisiana after hurricane Katrina, they went in 3wk rotations.
We found a company right here in Grand Rapids to design, build and ship water filters that are being used all over the world.
They cost $90 ea shipped and last 10 years and provide enough clean water for a village.
www.20litres.org
Its just a plastic barrel filled with sand and a spigot on it.
We also have the "White Bucket Project" that was started by our church, it is donations from church members that is given to local people in need, gas cards and cash.
You see a white bucket in the hallway, have extra money, drop it in the bucket.
http://marshill.org/the-white-bucket-project/
On the first day of the White Bucket Project there was a ladies Rolex watch and almost $30,000 donated.
That was a very moving day.
My point is, think global, act local.
Your heart is in the right place.
Here in the US we have the Red Cross, The Salvation Army, Goodwill, and churches.
If you really want to make a difference without loosing your job hook up with one of them.
Something else we do at my church is small groups, that is a group of 6-8 people who get together once a week outside of church to do whatever they want.
My first wife and I belonged to one, we did bible study, discussed the Sunday teaching, helped one another, had boys night, girls night, babysat each others kids and volunteered.
So maybe you start a small group and do volunteer work, a WWII Vet might love a ride in your Rover on his way to the VA hospital.
Just food for thought.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I had this thought Aaron, I am sure there is a handicap kid in OH who would love a trip to The Wilds.
You know he has seen all the offroad videos and would just LOVE a offroad trip, especially in a Rover.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the info Phil, I'll take a look at those when I get home later.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want to start my own non -profit refinishing old golf clubs and donating them to returning vets thru the Wounded Warrior Program. The vets use golf for Physical Therapy to help recover from war related injuries. It is great Physical Therapy, I use it myself for similar reasons.

I have been collecting and refinishing mostly old Bullseye Brass Headed Putters made by John Reuter Jr. if any of you are golf fans, you may be familar with them. Corey Pavin still uses one on tour. They were very popular in the glory days of the 1950's, 60's and into the 70's. Scotty Cameron has come out with Limited Edition updated ones sold thru his Design Studio. I have over a dozen I have refinished and play several regularly.

I also collect and redo vintage and classic wooden headed clubs and classic iron sets along with the appropriate period golf bag and any books written either by or about that golfer. Sort of like a little Library of the history of golf.

I plan on donating clubs to returning vets, getting into the art of club fitting by custom fitting a nice restored set to a vet based upon their individual needs.

I plan to use my Land Rover as the vehicle to haul some vets out for a round of golf with clubs that I fitted to them. I have been buying them off EBAY and picking them up at the Thrift Shops and Salvation Army for a few bucks each. To support doing what I would like to do on the scale I want to do it, I plan to use the local American Legion and VFW to start some collection barrels at their clubs, country clubs and public courses to get people to clean out their closets, car trunks, garages, and country club lockers and provide their "OLD SOLDIERS for YOUNG SOLDIERS".

Old 02-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Anything and everything. If it brings joy or help to someone, then it's worthy of the cause.

I've got someone I know (a coach at my job, soon to be my coach) who will help give me ideas. She's one of those people that has the uncanny ability to view the same thing from many angles.

Phil, I registered at that TheCommon although I haven't yet had the chance to look around too much.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I registered on TheCommon but I don't have a community near my area. The closest one is about 200 miles away so I inquired with their team about starting a community in my area. And I really want to raise the $3,200 for the 100 families for 10 years 20 liter program. How do you go about fundraising for that and starting off? I don't want people thinking I'm pocketing all the money for myself, so I'm pretty sure walking around asking people for money isn't a good approach..

Quick Reply: Designed for the Extraordinary