ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Designed for the Extraordinary

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Aaron, The Common will send you a weekly update on people in need, plus exploring the site you can find people in need now that you might beable to help.

Calebbo, your best bet to raise money for a cause is to work with either your church or school.
A kid walking around wanting to raise money could do it, but it would be more difficult because this kid just wants money.
Now to give you some food for thought, they had 2 high school kids on stage Sun before the service talking about their fund raising for 20litres, one girl started making t-shirts and selling them, she got local buisness' to donate blank t-shirts and then she and her friends designed the shirts and had them printed at a reduced rate and then sold them for profit and turned the profits into the church for 20litres.
The boy and his friends went around with a paintball gun and for $1 you could shoot them, they donated that money as well.
One kids reminded us that we flush drinking water here in the US because to us water is a after thought.
In every hallway is a drinking fountain, in every store is water to buy, in everyhouse is a faucet with clean water.
We water our lawns at 12noon when the sun is at its hottest and half the water just evaporates and the other half goes onto the driveway but half a world away there is a 2yr old who will die from lack of clean water.
This was coming from a high school kid.
Very moving.
I am sure if you contacted 20litres they could help steer you in the right direction to gather donations.
Have you ever heard of "The Art Prize"?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I saw the winner but not really no, and yes I will contact 20 liters for some info.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just awesome

I have also registered at The Common.

And - for what it is worth - reading this thread restores my faith in humanity.

A Forum for truck repair discussing specifics on HOW to make a difference, not just whining that they wish they could.

Thanks all.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me feel good to see a thread like this.... I work in non-profit, and have alot of experience. Something like this is very possible, but it would be worth looking into grants.gov, and search through grants currently available. This will give you some insite on what causes get the most federal funding. Non-profits that aid in anti-violence (hint, hint) for children (hint, hint) tend to recieve funding more readily than others. Also, consider teaming with an established non-profit to develop a new program. It can sometimes take quite a while to get the 501c3 filed with the IRS, so this would save you alot of time, unless you're in it for the glory and want it all in YOUR name..... hope this helps. please feel free to email me regarding this idea. I would be happy to provide consulting to this cause.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's why I love working with youth through scouting. I get to share my love of the outdoors with them. That, and they love to ride in the Disco on the logging roads.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Dezert Rover
Makes me feel good to see a thread like this.... I work in non-profit, and have alot of experience. Something like this is very possible, but it would be worth looking into grants.gov, and search through grants currently available. This will give you some insite on what causes get the most federal funding. Non-profits that aid in anti-violence (hint, hint) for children (hint, hint) tend to recieve funding more readily than others. Also, consider teaming with an established non-profit to develop a new program. It can sometimes take quite a while to get the 501c3 filed with the IRS, so this would save you alot of time, unless you're in it for the glory and want it all in YOUR name..... hope this helps. please feel free to email me regarding this idea. I would be happy to provide consulting to this cause.
I appreciate that. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out where to start. I've yet to talk to that friend of mine, I'll get a good chance to here in the next couple of days.

I'm also thinking about tossing this idea up on the local Land Rover forum of mine, and see what they have to say.

I registered at The Common, but there doesn't seem to be much going on around me. There was one post about an elderly man with MS that needed a wheel chair ramp built, but that posting expired months ago. I'll still check it out.

Last edited by tornado_735; 02-23-2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Forgot some stuff
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, thanks for the link on the common. Unfortunately, there is nothing within 500 miles of my zip. But I registered so if anything pops up, or someone starts a group here...I will be available.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Mudding

Talk to your local crisis shelter and ask them if they would help promote a 4x4 trip that supported thier cause... then your local 4 wheel club. Try to organize an event that supports the crisis shelter like "Wheeling for teens" or something along those lines..... that would be a great start!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Mudding

...crisis shelters are usually federally funded, and are generally happy to have individuals and clubs show interest.