ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

LR fatal accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR fatal accident

In a 911 call prior to the accident, Goodsell told a dispatcher that the brakes on his Land Rover had failed and the ignition pedal was stuck.
"Yes, I am, uh, coming out of Sardine Canyon; my brakes went out; my gas pedal is stuck ..." Goodsell told the dispatcher.

That is from Yahoo news. The driver died. Very unfortunate accident. No brakes, gas pedal stuck........no relation. I don't know what to say.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He wasn't wearing his seat belt and that probably contributed greatly to his demise. All in all a sad tale especially as he had just been to Salt Lake City to buy a diamond engagement ring and propose to his girl friend and was returning to Preston, Idaho where they both lived. They found the ring at the accident site. There was a lot of discussion of this accident over on Discoweb and what went wrong/mishandled with the P38 he was driving. Very sad event.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I remember reading this awhile back. He went to the next town to buy an engagement ring for his girlfriend. Very crappy story.

I was wondering what did cause the system to have that kind of failure. Did anyone on Discoweb have any realistic scenarios? I mean, you could assume that he didn't take proper care of it but I've had some horrible failures on previous vehicles that were just unexplainable.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Seriously? Darwin wins.

Turn the ignition off. Or make the transmission stop the vehicle, blowing the transmission to hell is better than dying.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Hindsightis 20/20. Good ideas don't always come to you when you need them. When the vehicle is losing control, first response is try to make it work. Down shifting, turning off the car but not all the way to prevent the wheel locking, and using the parking brake is a bit of a challenge.

Most people don't even know how to change oil, and you expect them to know that?

Old 06-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Most people never really learn to operate a car.
Insert key, start car, put in D, point car, press accelerator.
The vast majority or people, I'm willing to bet, know more about fiddling with their stereo than that know about operating their car.
How many people are actually taught that downshifting will slow a car?
I fully expect this to happen more and more as cars become more automated. Soon as something fails they become utterly lost.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Most people never really learn to operate a car.
Insert key, start car, put in D, point car, press accelerator.
The vast majority or people, I'm willing to bet, know more about fiddling with their stereo than that know about operating their car.
How many people are actually taught that downshifting will slow a car?
I fully expect this to happen more and more as cars become more automated. Soon as something fails they become utterly lost.
Yeah that's a sad story, both in terms of romance, the lose of a life and the reputation to Land Rover.

Unrelated: I had to drive my former 94 jeep grand Cherokee for almost a month without breaks. I learned very quickly how to use the low gears in combination with the ebrake. That and always driving at lower speeds and avoiding highways and as many hills as possible. Had to learn to judge how much distance I had between me and the car in front of me, in contrast to how long it takes the ebrake to slow the rig down.... Back then I was broke but I depended on having a vehicle so I had no choice but to drive it. Did not have insurance either. Was a very scary time indeed.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Seriously? Darwin wins.
Seriously? You're a douche bag.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
Seriously? You're a douche bag.
Aw, cry.