ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Mag Lite Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My subs blew about a month ago, so thats what got me thinking about getting one, i don't really notice a difference in sounds so im not about to spend the money to replace it, i'd rather drop $100 for the metal door panel.

Your pic didn't work, but I know exactly what your taking about on Jeffrudy's set up!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
My subs blew about a month ago, so thats what got me thinking about getting one, i don't really notice a difference in sounds so im not about to spend the money to replace it, i'd rather drop $100 for the metal door panel.

Your pic didn't work, but I know exactly what your taking about on Jeffrudy's set up!
That is what happened to me. I bought it with blow subs. i replaced them with some 6" subs i had laying around but didnt like the way they fit so I just got the SS plate from Columbia. very happy I did. If you do go to install it i would make a suggestion to use some sort of damper between the SS panel and the interior of the gate becuase you will get of a lot of rattle when hitting bumps. I used a piece of cardboard as a temp until i install my swing out table which I will bolt thru the panel and gate holding everything in place.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
That is what happened to me. I bought it with blow subs. i replaced them with some 6" subs i had laying around but didnt like the way they fit so I just got the SS plate from Columbia. very happy I did. If you do go to install it i would make a suggestion to use some sort of damper between the SS panel and the interior of the gate becuase you will get of a lot of rattle when hitting bumps. I used a piece of cardboard as a temp until i install my swing out table which I will bolt thru the panel and gate holding everything in place.
Good advice, I always wondered about vibrations and rattling with those SS panels.

Did you reroute your subs to somewhere else or just remove them altogether?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Dude, there are tons of more powerful lights for alot cheaper. Hell I got one that is magnetic that swivels and it works great. Of course I have four lights and one clamshell that is charged from inside the vehicle.

A maglite is too big and clumsy and wont do squat when you got a flat tire.
Not to be a downer again, but I tend to agree with this. I used MagLites everyday for years in the military, and for flashlight purposes, they pretty much sucked eggs. I would have rather had a smaller LED flashlight any day.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:05 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UpChuck
Not to be a downer again, but I tend to agree with this. I used MagLites everyday for years in the military, and for flashlight purposes, they pretty much sucked eggs. I would have rather had a smaller LED flashlight any day.
I know you tried not to be but you are being a downer, you gave it away when you said "Not to be a downer again"

...I'm just going to rip down the Mag Lite and the mounts and throw it all in the garbage because apparently they're the worst

I have a headlamp for night-time tire changes/peaking under the hood if needed. I'm not sure what sort of Mag Lite's you guys have been using, but the Mag Lite has a super bright beam that lights up things far far away. Any reasonably priced LED is great for lighting things up close like engine bays, etc, and that's why I have one of those in the glove box, but sometimes it's nice to have a little range.

Plus I know where it is if I need it, it's out of the way, I could beat someones a$$ with it, and I happen to think it looks cool.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UpChuck
they make LED's for your keychain. I like being able to stick 4 d batteries in my LED and it sits there thru the winters and summers and never gets dull. If i need it to wack something it does that pretty damn well too.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there are full size Mag-Lites with LED's, that would be pretty sweet. I haven't messed with a Mag in years. In my experience the bulbs didn't hold up that well to the abuse that you expect to put something that chunky and heavy through. And we put ours through the ringer, for sure. But I would definitely want to have a smaller task light on hand, as well. Just my opinion.
I think it's a pretty cool thing you did. Personally, I'm a fan of these smaller mods. They're cheap, quick and easy, and can come in quite handy. Goes to show you don't have to spend a ton of money to make a very functional vehicle.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Plus I know where it is if I need it, it's out of the way, I could beat someones a$$ with it,
Possibly, if you can persuade your assailant to wait while you get out of your Rover, go to the boot and get it.
That's another reason I like it mounted where the driver's oh-****! handle was.