ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Rover trip: low on Rovers...High on scenery

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rover trip: low on Rovers...High on scenery

Went with 3 buds on a waterfall seeking trip last Saturday. Our goal.... Abiqua Falls Oregon. Off the beaten path.... hard to find, hard to get to..... and 4x4 recommended just to get to the trail head.

That was the report out of Oregon Hikers website. And it wasn't far off. After an hour and a half drive north and east (from our meeting place in North Springfield) the pavement ended and the road turned into log truck gravel ( next 9 miles) till we located the road that branched off and led (for another 4.5 miles ) to the trail head. This was the part that was 4x4 recommended.... and it was a fun, deep rut filled, "S" curved, rocked filled, forest encroached ride down to the actual trail head. My Disco II performed admirably all the way down and back and I was feeling proud to be the owner of such a fine machine.

After parking and traversing the 1 mile trail....here are a couple pictures of what we found.

Here is a shot of two of the guys about halfway to the destination. It was steep and somebody, God bless them, put knotted ropes along the trail to help hikers from going head over heals down to the bottom. It was steep and it was treacherous, and the ropes really helped.

At the bottom the scenery was just fantastic. Primeval even.

And then..... there it was. Abiqua Falls !! It was magnificent ! A beautiful bowl of granite columns with a 120 foot water fall spilling over the top.

The youth (of course) from our group swam out to the falls. Us old guys just took pictures.

A stunning and beautiful vision of Gods creativity and awesomeness!!

After the hike back to my Rover....we decided to check out another falls (Butte Creek Falls) only 5 miles down the main gravel road. Much easier to get to, but still spectacular !!

Here's a couple shots of that place. If you are ever around this part of the country and have some time for a day trip..... I recommend it !!