ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

runaway rover

Old 12-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
right after I made my last post I thought to myself 'we need to get long haul over here, he can settle this' lol. It's my understanding that most big rig engines do not have intake heaters either, but I'm not certain on that point..was just certain they do not have glow plugs.

long haul, does yours have a intake heater?

Nope. Honestly I dont know of too many larger diesels that do have glow plugs or intake heaters. On mine I Just turn the key and push the starter button. But like spike said sometimes you crank for 20 seconds leave off for 30 seconds and crank for 20 seconds till it starts or the batteries are dead lol. Now my trailer (refridgerater unit) has glowplugs (4 cyl kubota diesel) and once the glow plugs fire itll start up and run smooth but even if its below 10* F out it even has trouble starting so I leave it run 24/7 under extreme temps (even at full throttle it only burns .35 gallon an hour).

Last edited by Long Haul; 12-31-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's what I thought..so nobody go into a truck stop and ask about glow plugs unless its for an APU or else long haul and his trucker buddies will point and laugh at you

Old 12-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
that's what I thought..so nobody go into a truck stop and ask about glow plugs unless its for an APU or else long haul and his trucker buddies will point and laugh at you
LOL. I forgot about the APU's those things are the bees knees. Even all the heavy equipment my buddy has doesnt use glow plugs or intake heaters other than maybe a skid steer everything else is just hit the key. I think the biggest reason most autos use glow plugs or fuel heaters is emissions cuz if youve ever been around a big diesel when they fire up cold theres some nasty stuff comeing out of the pipes. And with plugs you usually just have a little puff of white and black smoke then it clears up. Almost any diesel will start without that stuff when its cold its just a matter of how long you want to keep crancking it over.... Im hell for jumping in my dads diesel super duty and not waiting for glowplugs to warm up lol. Yes it does start but it runs real rough for about 30 seconds.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by safarisam
What? Do you want a full explanation of the oil flow in a rover v8?
Sure!! If, that is, you have the time.