ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

SD roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I didn't mean the edges around the perimeter, I meant in each diamond shaped opening. If you get the flattened kind it's not as bad. I've gotten a lot of nicks and cuts from the stuff when I was a weldor.
Another issue with any metal flooring is vibration against the rood rack wearing off the rack's coating and leading to rust.
You definitely want a floor you can walk on because you will be walking on it.

Is it the aesthetics of the chicken coop flooring you don't like? I'm just curious,
because I can't think of anything that would be better (I looked at a lot of options, including aluminum diamond plate) before I settled on it.
It's
Cheap
Lightweight
Needs no prep before install
Easy to install
100% maintenance free
Will take as much weight as you'll ever put on it.
The color goes well with the black rack.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by Spike555
I like this but it is not for sale in the US.

http://www.offroadtuff.com/DiscoIILRN50120.htm
I liked the look of that but found two issues. One, you're more limited on where you can fasten tie-downs (unless you cut more holes) and I found reports from people where it buckled really badly after a while in the elements.

LOL!!!
No, actually I hope to fall into a Series IIA 110.
I can assure you that won't ever happen. IIa's were 109's, not 110's.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist

I can assure you that won't ever happen. IIa's were 109's, not 110's.
Ah what's a inch? lol

There is a beautiful '67 IIA 109" for sale on my route, asking price is $27,000.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Team Owner

The thing I dont like about the chicken coop floor is its overall thickness, it looks to be 1/2" thick, granted I have not gone to TSC and looked at it YET but the rack is only 3"? deep so reducing that by 1/2" is alot of usable room lost IMO.

Maybe I'll have to swing by your place on my way back from TX at the end of this month and check out your rack.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Baja

Ah what's a inch?
To hear my wife complain, a lot.

The thing I dont like about the chicken coop floor is its overall thickness, it looks to be 1/2" thick, granted I have not gone to TSC and looked at it YET but the rack is only 3"? deep so reducing that by 1/2" is alot of usable room lost IMO.
Closer to 4-6" I think, but I follow you now. Well, I guess in theory that's true. But remember, the side rails are mainly to just keep things from completely sliding off, but you'll always (I dearly hope) have things lashed down. I've carried 1650 Pelican cases on their sides on mine with no issues or worries at all.

Maybe I'll have to swing by your place on my way back from TX at the end of this month and check out your rack.
I never knew Atlanta was "on the way" from Texas to Michigan, but what do I know? lol

Last edited by antichrist; 04-03-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Team Owner

Tie stuff down? What? Why?

Well with my Boy Scout knot tying merit badge and hauling cargo for a living I could easily get around the shallower rack.

My oldest son and a friend of his were going to do the welding if I bought the argon and wire.
But it sounds like a trip to TSC is in order first.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my opinion (and it is not worth the paper I could print it on), but I would consider maybe welding on a few cross bars and then get a piece of flat sheet aluminum, cut however many tie down holes you want and have it rhino lined and bolt it to the rack frame. Minimize height loss, custom tie down holes, light weight aluminum, rhino lined to protect from elements and rust (and no worries about wearing out like a paint job), cross braces to support weight without warping, easy to walk on, could rhino line the rest of the frame too for nice look......what more could you ask for? But that's just me. One day I will have the money to buy and rack and do just that. Maybe even just custom fab the entire rack. Anyway, nick rack , lol.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only problem with putting pretty much a solid piece of plate up there would be airflow... you could potentially end up with "lift" and if you went fast enough maybe even take off, or you could generate enormous amount of downforce and cause premature tire wear and bad fuel economy... but what you would most likely end up with is a giant flute on your roof that would make some hellish noise goin down the highway... think blowing across the top of a beer bottle, only bigger, and at 70 mph

Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did you pay for it spike?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally love my FarmTek flooring but to each his own...

Here is an option just like the RhinoRack flooring but you can get it in the USA - http://www.roverracks.com/king_xl.htm. Again you might want to cut a few more tie down spots and it's going to cost big $$$.

I don't know how thick this stuff is and don't know anyone who has it but when I was looking for flooring options I figured for what they want for the floor I could get my entire Hella light setup. Plus making the FarmTek stuff fit/work was kind of fun.

GL-

Quick Reply: SD roof rack