ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

subaru question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default subaru question

I have replaced my DD with a subaru and am having overheating issues. It only overheats after I have driven more than 20 miles or so. It has been at the shop for over two weeks and they can't seem to find the problem. I was wondering if anyone on here had any insight since the people on the subaru forums have been no help. So far I have replaced the upper hose, a lower hose (not the main one), the radiator cap, and it has been pressure tested. My main question is how can I differenciate between a water pump and the radiator being clogged? If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I am pretty sure its not the HG as there are no external leaks and my oil still looks fine. Both fans are working as well and I am at a loss. I always find good help here so hopefully someone will know what to do other than ghost-ride it into a river lol. There is some oil leaking from the cam shaft gasket and the crank shaft gasket which is near the water pump so could that have an effect on it? Thanks for any replys

Old 10-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your water pump is slipping from the oil getting on it.
The water pump is ran off of the back side of the timing belt, the belt gets wet it slips, you need to fix the oil leak.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thats what I was thinking but I don't have the Cash to fix it right now. I am currently trying some white sheperd to see if I can hold off until tax time but its looking like I will be selling a ******** in the next week or so... How can you tell if a water pump is going out compared to a clogged radiator? I was wondering this the whole time and have been getting mixed answers. I was thinking that since the radiator feels cool when I'm overheating, and this last time even the spray from the vent cap was cool so that meant that the coolant wasn't circulating. Also the needle would drop when I reved the engine and using the heater seemed useless. I am agreeing with our diagnosis but am wondering if it is just the oil making it slip or if it is on its last legs. IDK makes me wish I was working on a rover instead of a les-baru. Thanks for your help spike!

Old 11-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Nope its the HG! Fun times ahead. I got this POS so I could work on my rover but Im still broke!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The really sad part about this is whatever the price of the 'ru was you could have spent on the Rover and been further ahead.