ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Traction Control in snow DI vs FJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traction Control in snow DI vs FJ

We have had a few inches of snow in the past few days and I have been driving alternatively the Land Rover DI and the Toyota FJ and definitely don't like traction control for me. I am sure traction control (T/C) is a good thing for the new generations that learn how to drive with it. (Of course I was tempted to say for the inexperienced driver the T/C is better, but I won't say that) For me the T/C is no help whatsoever. Despite the fact that the FJ and the LR are different cars and therefore will drive differently, I feel much more in control on the Land Rover. I was in an open space, pushing them to their limits, and once skidding and drifting, the LR comes back in control much faster than the T/C equipped FJ that would fishtail a couple more times before gaining traction again. Both cars are permanent 4WD and both of my cars have same tires. With the central differential open, the land rover is very predictable and easy to control. The FJ on the other hand is just annoying with the T/C. Once I lock the central differential, in the FJ, this disconnects the T/C, both cars are almost identical on their behavior. It is probably a sign of getting old.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:50 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DI's DON'T have traction control....so of course it wouldn't be any help

...I'm assuming you are just talking about the TC in the FJ? If you're easy on the right pedal, the DII's traction control system in the snow is pretty solid. If you 'goose' it too much the back end likes to slip out.

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 01-13-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

D2 TC + cdl = win

Old 01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, I know my DI pretty well. I wrote assuming you all knew it too. Yes, I am talking about the FJ with T/C vs the DI without, which was the whole point. I don’t like T/C.
Ed, My formula is shorter DI=WIN. LOL Cheers.

Last edited by leadfoot; 01-13-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:42 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot
Rob, I know my DI pretty well. I wrote assuming you all knew it too. Yes, I am talking about the FJ with T/C vs the DI without, which was the whole point. I don’t like T/C.
Ed, My formula is shorter DI=WIN. LOL Cheers.
Yeah, I was just bustin your chops

My buddy at work also has an FJ Cruiser, so I'll have tell him about the "research" you did.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont care for TC either.
On my Sprinter you could turn it off at speeds below 35mph, faster than that and it turned back on.
It not only applied the brakes it also reduced engine power to prevent wheel spin, I would get stuck driving over a 1ft wide snow berm, it applied the brakes and cut power so fast you would almost hit the windshield.
Turn it off and no problems, you could spin the tires to heat them up and melt ice to gain traction again, stuck on ice with it on and you were just stuck.