ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Trails and fun areas in the Savannah GA, SC, Northern Flordia area

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:38 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trails and fun areas in the Savannah GA, SC, Northern Flordia area

Some one mentioned a couple of areas to look Im just trying to get a decent list of places to explore going. Ive found some pretty fun places just driving around looking for openings in wood lines and using google maps. I feel kind of juvenile going some of these places like old abandoned construction sites and stuff but I have to admit they're pretty fun. Here's some of the places Ive found.

Google Maps
A small area behind Bradley point south.

Google Maps
From what I understand the land around that area that didn't get developed used to belong to the Keller family but now belongs to the county. There's a few different trails that lead around that area, nothing to extreme really just wet muddy fun.

I have been on a couple of hunting club trails out in the Rincon / Springfeild area to that had some fun sites to see. I had also considered trying to get out onto the old Savannah motor speedway off of hwy 17 but I'm not sure if there are any roads that aren't gated off that lead out to it. I'll see what else I can find, but if anyone has any areas they like to frequent I'd love to hear about them.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Rock Crawling

I do the same thing, usually I will find an abandon subdivision. If you find a list I would also like to have that as well.

Thanks Collin

Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 AM
8th Gear

Have you been back behind Bradley point south yet? Its definatly worth a trip theres a couple small ponds and a few rough trails around them.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Might swing your Google satellite view over Jimmy DeLoach Parkway, east of I-95, and north of the Parkway - closed of areas from construction, old hunting club, etc. Also, from downtown Savannah heading out toward Augusta a year or two ago they installed a new 4 foot diameter gas pipeline, this created a giant right of way across multiple counties. Crosses many highways, including Ga 119 in Effingham (Springfield) , near the high school and Georgia Power's office.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm about 250 miles from you, so I've only hit a couple local trails.... I bet there are a lot of water crossing down there, eh?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 PM
8th Gear

I haven't went out to any yet but I imagine there are some good ones around here. Ive gotta take my freebie to the shop tomorrow I got hit by a 15 year old student driver and it messed up my front end and stuff so I haven't been able to do anything to rough.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

It is the curse of the coastal area in any of the Atlantic states - all these river and creeks are headed to the beach. You'll find a really good example in tidewater Virginia. And the marsh mud we have down here is salty, because the tide pushes brackish water miles up stream twice a day. Get it packed under your fenders and it is sorta like the northern states with road salt - turns things into sponge cake. I've lived in Athens and Pickens SC, lots of hills up your way, we are in the flat lands down here. But that Lake Hartwell ends up down here and separates us from the free and independent state of South Caroliana - it's the Savannah River. We have the 4th largest port in the USA on it, about 15 miles inland fom Tybee Island. You can cruise River Street (great suspension work out - it is ballast stones from old sailing ships) and watch 900 foot container ships come and go.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:51 AM
8th Gear

Yeah River street is almost a off road trail in its own way haha. Try riding down it in the cargo area of a ragged out 4runner. No fun. As far as the salt water tho does it pose any real issue to your vehicle even if you get it hella clean after words? Ive got a pretty strong pressure washer at the house I use to clean up after mud and dirt gets all caked around my SUV. Also I've never been really savvy when it comes to working on cars and stuff so since I've been trying to get into off roading and stuff I've been trying to learn a bit more and one issue I keep seeing is people getting water in there differentials is there any way to minimize the risk of that?