ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

wifey's non-Rover cars. What you got?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wifey's non-Rover cars. What you got?

We have a VW golf. So easy to work on. So cheap to operate. We are expecting. So maybe something larger--I would like some good cred. off-road/ all around. (My wife is a speech pathologist and does home visits to sunplowed/I don't care about your ability to get in my driveway people). I clear our driveway midway through a storm and after, evidently not every one does. So, what is your 2nd vehicle? What would you get if you could pick any other? Why? How does it fill your needs?
I am lusting after the Audi allroad. Here is link.
http://www.audiworld.com/news/01/all.../content.shtml
It has the clearance of the Land Rover D2 and even made it through the offroad course. HMMMMMMMMM.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2003 Acura MDX with 148k trouble free miles

I also have a 99 VOlvo V70

Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We have a Volvo 850 turbo wagon, it is the family car and it seats 7.
It gets 35mpg expressway at 80+mph and it will hold the line from 0-60 with a '07 Pontiac GTO with the 5.7L V8. (ask me how I know)

The "perfect" family car would be a Volvo Crosscountry V70 turbo.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Three Wheeling

When I bought my v70 I was looking to spend les than $4k. I got it for 3800 with 129k miles.

I did not want a Volvo with turbo or all wheel drive.

I like mine a lot. It is red and shiny. There is plenty of power and it gets pretty good gas MPG

What I really hate is the interior is total crap. The dash is no longer connected to car and bounces around, the rear tailgate cover will not stay on for crap (I think I might epoxy it). The leather seats must be the thinnest leather I have ever seen. I could go on but overall I still like the car.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mjbrox
When I bought my v70 I was looking to spend les than $4k. I got it for 3800 with 129k miles.

I did not want a Volvo with turbo or all wheel drive.

I like mine a lot. It is red and shiny. There is plenty of power and it gets pretty good gas MPG

What I really hate is the interior is total crap. The dash is no longer connected to car and bounces around, the rear tailgate cover will not stay on for crap (I think I might epoxy it). The leather seats must be the thinnest leather I have ever seen. I could go on but overall I still like the car.
Dont epoxy it, fit it right.
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...Kit+(1998-2000)

Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
We have a VW golf. So easy to work on. So cheap to operate. We are expecting. So maybe something larger--I would like some good cred. off-road/ all around. (My wife is a speech pathologist and does home visits to sunplowed/I don't care about your ability to get in my driveway people). I clear our driveway midway through a storm and after, evidently not every one does. So, what is your 2nd vehicle? What would you get if you could pick any other? Why? How does it fill your needs?
It has the clearance of the Land Rover D2 and even made it through the offroad course. HMMMMMMMMM.

I have owned an Audi and I doubt I will ever own one again.

I have been in one of the older allroads on a fire road it was smooth.

But honestly, the acura MDX is much better.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555

the previous owner already did that and it is broke.

Honestly, I love the Volvo but the interior is crap.

For the dash, I bought some vacuum hose and placed it on the steering column then shoved the stearing column up and locked it in place. This basically causes the steering column to be holding up the dash. With it, it is not bad but without the whole dash bounces around like a kid on a trampoline.

Now let me praise the Volvo again, on the highway it honestly tracks like a BMW. For long trips I would much rather be in the Volvo than the Acura MDX.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My lady uses our '92 BMW 325i w/205,000 for her daily. It has the M3 sports suspension and nearly every part on the car has been replaced in the last 80,000 or so miles. It runs like a champ and everything works. Sweet little 4-door commuter. I have a brand new set of Blizaks on it now and a set of Michelin Pilot's for the summer. It gets about 24-25mpg daily but has gotten as much as 29mpg on highway trips.

I had an '03 BMW M3 2 years ago and just love the E30/36/46 chassis's and when the 325i finally gives up she will probably be getting a '01-04 330ci or something similar.

But we are also looking into wagons as we are thinking of having children soon. Probably end up with either a Volvo V70xc, BMW 525xi, or a Mercedes C280 4matic. Basically a European, all-wheel drive wagon. Suggestions on models or years would be helpful.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
those are awesome cars. get one in stick!. have you seen the new a4 allroad? i don't think they have them in the states though... yet...

Old 01-31-2010, 05:46 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
We have a Volvo 850 turbo wagon, it is the family car and it seats 7.
It gets 35mpg expressway at 80+mph and it will hold the line from 0-60 with a '07 Pontiac GTO with the 5.7L V8. (ask me how I know)

The "perfect" family car would be a Volvo Crosscountry V70 turbo.
My dad had a 98 or 99 V70 Cross Country. That was back when they were still boxy like your 850 and still attractive cars. I loved that car. Actually thought about getting something like that when I bought my Rover. Dad's Volvo was a little slower off the line than my Saab 9000 but he made up the ground really quick.

I have a buddy that has a V70 T5 AWD. That's a really nice car too and that high pressure turbo it uses makes for a wild ride.

Quick Reply: wifey's non-Rover cars. What you got?