Series I, II, IIa, III Land Rovers For all Series Land Rovers

1973 Series III wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 Series III wiring help

I'm a seasoned shade tree mechanic and have rebuilt several cars and trucks. I never dreamed of doing a Series III until my step daughter bought one in VERY poor shape. She bought it before I could look at and if I had I would have told her, NO! It stopped running and she took it to a "repair" shop in Charleston, S.C. that supposedly specialized in Land Rovers. It turned out to be a scam so I picked up the motor and the Landy from Euro Pro and brought them back to my house. I refreshed the motor and after having to buy a new clutch, radiator and motor mounts (another story with Euro Pro), I remounted everything without much trouble until I looked at the wiring. There are a few wires that were cut. I am trying to figure out the positive and negative poles for the alternator wires to the battery junction as well as the wires from the distributor. There are also wires that go to the oil filter housing.
I would appreciate any help I could get. There will be more questions I'm sure.

Old 05-30-2022, 01:49 PM
TReK
Received 505 Likes on 437 Posts

I won’t be much help as I don’t have my 2A anymore, but I’m pretty sure the wires to the oil filter are for the oil pressure light. Hopefully you can find a wiring diagram, it’s a very simple diagram.
The small bits that you can see in the photos look like it’s in great shape. Hopefully with the refreshed engine your daughter will have a great vehicle.

Old 10-16-2022, 06:38 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Landy73,

Ive used EuroPro on Folly for a good chunk of repairs on my 73' Series 3 and havent had a lot of issues. I do have the Repair Operation Manual, that has the wiring diagram, and the Haynes restoration manual, if you need any resources. 2nd image looks to be where the oil temp gauge would connect to.