Series I, II, IIa, III Land Rovers For all Series Land Rovers

New member hello

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 09:11 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member hello

Hi everyone,
First post here, been looking at Land rovers, specifically series II and IIa. I'm hoping to maybe buy one this year. Always liked them, but never in a position to purchase until recently. With that said I've actually never sat in one much less driven in one. Looking for advice and maybe where I can check one out semi local before driving a long way to look at one or buy. I'm in northern CA not to far from Auburn. My biggest concern is headroom, Ive had a couple old CJ jeeps and I seem to sit above the windshield on those. Wondering how to Land rovers compare. Thanks

Old 03-08-2023, 10:48 PM
TReK
Received 491 Likes on 426 Posts

I think the head room is okay, but I’m probably not one who’d really know as I’m not terribly tall. They’re great vehicles but really one size fits all. No seat adjustment etc.

Old 03-09-2023, 05:56 AM
XXL
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Handy
Hi everyone,
First post here, been looking at Land rovers, specifically series II and IIa. I'm hoping to maybe buy one this year. Always liked them, but never in a position to purchase until recently. With that said I've actually never sat in one much less driven in one. Looking for advice and maybe where I can check one out semi local before driving a long way to look at one or buy. I'm in northern CA not to far from Auburn. My biggest concern is headroom, Ive had a couple old CJ jeeps and I seem to sit above the windshield on those. Wondering how to Land rovers compare. Thanks
You really should drive one before committing yourself down that path. Series LRs are brutally primitive in every way, and will test every aspect of your driving enjoyment. They are farm tractors with a box on top. There is nothing designed into them for comfort. They leak rain and wind, they rattle, they can't keep up with highway traffic, they are as aerodynamic as an outhouse, and they will work you hard to keep them straight on the road. That said, mine is a daily driver by choice. As for fitting into it, I'm 6'3" and have a good 6" of headroom. However, anyone over 5'10" or so will have to do a head twist to see most traffic lights. I also own a chop top hotrod, so I'm used to craning to see traffic lights. And, depending on where your body folds, you may find your knees are pretty high when you lift your feet to the pedals. I modded my driver seat by moving the pivot point on the upper section back 2.5", which was the difference between having the steering wheel in my gut and not. As @Harvlr said, there is no seat adjustment built in (except some Mil models, which had sliders... which, given the space available, are probably completely useless. There is a bulkhead behind the seat, so there is no moving back other than the mod I made.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XXL
You really should drive one before committing yourself down that path. Series LRs are brutally primitive in every way, and will test every aspect of your driving enjoyment. They are farm tractors with a box on top. There is nothing designed into them for comfort. They leak rain and wind, they rattle, they can't keep up with highway traffic, they are as aerodynamic as an outhouse, and they will work you hard to keep them straight on the road. That said, mine is a daily driver by choice. As for fitting into it, I'm 6'3" and have a good 6" of headroom. However, anyone over 5'10" or so will have to do a head twist to see most traffic lights. I also own a chop top hotrod, so I'm used to craning to see traffic lights. And, depending on where your body folds, you may find your knees are pretty high when you lift your feet to the pedals. I modded my driver seat by moving the pivot point on the upper section back 2.5", which was the difference between having the steering wheel in my gut and not. As @Harvlr said, there is no seat adjustment built in (except some Mil models, which had sliders... which, given the space available, are probably completely useless. There is a bulkhead behind the seat, so there is no moving back other than the mod I made.
Ok, good to know on the headroom, yeah I didn’t expect to much for comfort, now just to find one I can take a ride in.