Series I, II, IIa, III Land Rovers For all Series Land Rovers

Starting up

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting up

Hi All
i have a diesel ‘73 Series 3 that runs pretty well but never starts on the first key turn. I always let it charge for 30+ seconds and keep the battery on a tender full time. Still, the engine will not start on first go. It will inevitably start on the 2nd/3rd/4th but I am wondering if perhaps there is an easy fix for this or maybe a highly likely issue that I can correct. Any thoughts welcomed!

Old 01-15-2022, 08:57 PM
XXL
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

A few somewhat connected thoughts--

Diesel fuel isn't ignited by an external source (eg, spark plug), so it can be a little finicky on first start. The glow plugs aid in the process by warming the combustion chamber, but compression, air, and fuel are what cause the diesel to ignite.

On a carbureted petrol engine, you can get fuel for initial startup by bumping the floor pedal a couple of times because the carburetor stores a small amount of fuel in the bowls. The 2.25 diesel engine in your Series 3 has mechanical fuel injection, which requires a spinning engine to drive the pump. So, you don't have the ability to 'prime' the cylinders with diesel like on a carbureted engine. You just have to spin it a bit, which turns the diesel pump, which feeds fuel to the cylinders, and when the planets align with sufficient compression, air and fuel mixture, the diesel will ignite, and voila... you're running.

Aside from the basics... is your diesel fuel of sufficient quality (eg, you're not trying to run off of french fry grease, which requires several intermediate steps to work)? Are your glow plugs functioning (or are you trying to start it in Antarctica)? Have you replaced your fuel filter? When they get full, they just give up and pass whatever on through... including water and other stuff that you don't want.... there is injector timing, which requires a small amount of expertise to set. I'm currently getting my ducks in a row on just how this is done on the 2.25, and will be checking/setting my timing in the fairly near future. Check this thread for some info from board member @PaulFromWijchen on how he set his timing.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! Glow plugs seem to be okay and this issue was also happening in warm weather as well as cold. Haven’t replaced fuel filter so that will be next on my list. Diesel is quality. Really appreciate the insight.