Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II brush bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

On the 99-02 D2 OEM brush guard it connects a bracket which is slotted. Correct the part on the frame which the is the brush guard bracket with the slots will not move due it being thru the frame rail holes, but with the bolts torqued to spec if the bar is pushed against anything other than a twig it will slid back in those slots and make contact with the body.

Extreme light duty sure, and bushes yep, but nudge a parked car, a wall, or anything out on the trail other than a bush and it will move. I think the 03-04 didn't use the same setup as the 99-02, but I'm not 100% sure as the only 03/04 I had with a brush guard had an aftermarket setup which went to the frame rail bolt holes. It would rotate up/down maybe 1/2 an inch, but it did not move in/out.

Also another problem you'll get with the OEM style brush guard and A-Bar I think they call it, is the lower section will eventually hold water and rust from the inside out. On my 98 D1 (still waiting to hear if they want to total it....... or not.....) it had the OEM A Bar setup and I leaned over it and it moved. I said ahhh loose bolts, climbed under to tighten them and nope they were tight but the bar itself only had one side left of the tube holding it together. I removed it ASAP so it didn't fall off going down the road.

I agree I think you'll be fine for light duty stuff, but check your bolts, and make sure it doesn't collect water.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm about to upload pictures right now. But, yeah once again, if you hit a parked car at like 5/10 mph I think it would most likely push back into the hood. Same with a fender bender.

Like I said, I do light off roading and sometimes that includes thick brush. I have never had a problem. I have run over, straight on, some "trees" that were about 3 inches in diameter and about 10 feet tall any never had any issues and you'll see that my stock bumper and hood are in great condition considering the vehicle is 15 years old.

Also, the bottom of my bar (the two lower most vertical bars) is completely open so I have no clue how it could hold water and subsequently rust out. So unless I'm misunderstanding you I'm not really sure how that could happen on this specific bar. Yes, any metal would rust out given long amounts of time though; so far this one is fine.

I assume the original poster realizes that this is not a car guard or get caught on a large rock guard or anything to offer protection in that way. It's for brush and has worked for me in the the circumstances that I have stated already. Obviously a steel bumper is far superior in many ways, but he asked for a good brush guard for light off roading, so that is what I offered. Some people prefer things like that as opposed to heavy duty everything made for all situations.

Alex attested to his similar brush bar being solid; I'm throwing in my words for this one being very solid for what it is made for. Just trying to help the guy find what he's looking for is all.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Three Wheeling

Here are the photos. I wrote in some captions to focus your eyes on whatever parts. Note: you can also easily remove the headlight guards.Bumper, hood, etc. all still in good shape. Everything's a little dirty, I apologize.

Hella lights are not included.

Small gash here

Small gash here as well

Just a little chipping of the powder coat on the mount plate

Just a little chipping of the powder coat on the mount plate

You can see if you unscrew these quick bolts that the headlight guards come off.

With out the headlight guard on.

With out the headlight guard on.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

"I assume the original poster realizes that this is not a car guard or get caught on a large rock guard or anything to offer protection in that way. It's for brush and has worked for me in the the circumstances that I have stated already. Obviously a steel bumper is far superior in many ways, but he asked for a good brush guard for light off roading, so that is what I offered. Some people prefer things like that as opposed to heavy duty everything made for all situations."

Yes, I realize this is not going to do squat in an accident. However, it will keep the stock bumper from cracking in the event some dope whips a shopping cart into the front end. I had one corner of the battery slip out of my hand from six inches above the bumper and it knocked a three inch hole in it.

That bar looks fine on the front end. It's a little more than I want or need, but it will sure as heck protect that center section of the factory bumper.

The only question is whether or not it will mount on an 03'. I just looked at the underside of my front bumper and it does not look anything like the 2001 pictured above. There is only on place that the bar could mount ( the tow hook mount ), and that is only on one side. Do you have to cut a hole in the plastic bumper cover to get this to mount up on a 2003?

Also, how much does it weigh, and how much would it cost to ship to 08055 in NJ?

Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Three Wheeling

The weight I'm not sure of right now but to get a freight shipping quote I would have to take it off and weight it, so I could let you know once I do that.

I'm in 12748 NY. I don't know if you go up that way at all or would want to, but until I find out the shipping cost, that might be a cheaper option. I could drive as far as Port Jervis, NY for some gas money if you wanted to do that though.

A previous posted said it works on a 2003 but I am not sure. I have seen the exact style on 2003/2004's but I don't know if it was a different mounting bracket or not. Maybe someone else will chime in. I would not purchase it until you are sure of it though.

On my 2001 D2, there is a little slot for it. On a 2003 and 2004, you would have to cut a simple, narrow slot. That is all I know though; I'm not sure about the frame mounts.

I will take a picture of how it mounts to my frame this afternoon to give you an idea though.

The following users liked this post:
gulfstream69xr7 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:38 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I believe the OP was inquiring about an A bar, sometimes called a nudge bar. Not a full wrap brush guard.

The top of the A bar on my 03 tilts back about 1/2" but does not travel toward the grill/hood when impacted. When it does tilt it does not tilt enough to touch the hood.

My A bar is powder coated black with the word DISCOVERY in silver across the top bar and no wrap around for the headlights, similar to the OP picture. I'm not sure what year it came from as I got it used.

The third more common type is the square plastic one which I believe was offered on the 03/04.

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-21-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Yeah 03/04 used the A Bar which looked more like the guard off of a P38 Range Rover.

That is exactly what the OEM brush guard looked like on my Kalahari, except the bottom parts are welded shut, and they have two tiny drains in them. Guess they changed their design slightly as you also have shackle mounts/recovery mounts on yours vs mine as well.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew0
The weight I'm not sure of right now but to get a freight shipping quote I would have to take it off and weight it, so I could let you know once I do that.

I'm in 12748 NY. I don't know if you go up that way at all or would want to, but until I find out the shipping cost, that might be a cheaper option. I could drive as far as Port Jervis, NY for some gas money if you wanted to do that though.

A previous posted said it works on a 2003 but I am not sure. I have seen the exact style on 2003/2004's but I don't know if it was a different mounting bracket or not. Maybe someone else will chime in. I would not purchase it until you are sure of it though.

On my 2001 D2, there is a little slot for it. On a 2003 and 2004, you would have to cut a simple, narrow slot. That is all I know though; I'm not sure about the frame mounts.

I will take a picture of how it mounts to my frame this afternoon to give you an idea though.
I had one shipped up from FL, they weigh about 50 - 60 pounds.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

"I'm in 12748 NY. I don't know if you go up that way at all or would want to, but until I find out the shipping cost, that might be a cheaper option. I could drive as far as Port Jervis, NY for some gas money if you wanted to do that though."

It would cost me more in gas and tolls to drive up there from where I live in NJ, than it would to ship a 60 pound item from there to here via UPS.

"A previous posted said it works on a 2003 but I am not sure. I have seen the exact style on 2003/2004's but I don't know if it was a different mounting bracket or not. Maybe someone else will chime in. I would not purchase it until you are sure of it though"

"On my 2001 D2, there is a little slot for it. On a 2003 and 2004, you would have to cut a simple, narrow slot. That is all I know though; I'm not sure about the frame mounts."

Everything I can find says it will work. I'd need all of the mounting hardware. And yes, I'd likely have to cut slots in the underside of the bumper, in order to get the brackets through and to the frame rails.

"I will take a picture of how it mounts to my frame this afternoon to give you an idea though."

That would be very helpful.

I am not in any particular hurry, as I am also looking for the bumper itself. If you decide to take it off, and can find a way to get it sent to me at a reasonable cost ( 60 pounds from your zip to mine on UPS was less than $40 ), I'll buy it. The look is growing on me, the more I look at it. If I can find a decent bumper, I could mount the two of them at the same time.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:00 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Dad backed his car into the front of mine last week — bush bar took it well and protected both vehicles from damage. That said, very light hit but would have damaged both without it.
Would far rather have a steel bumper, but… $$$.

Quick Reply: Discovery II brush bar