Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II brush bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Discovery II brush bar

I'm looking for a brush bar to protect the unbelievably weak plastic bumper cover. I don't do a lot hard core off roading, just some trail rides to get me to where I like to mountain bike.

I'd really like something like this, but for a 2003 DII....

Name:  derby1_zpsem8juonm.jpg
Views: 2550
Size:  129.3 KB

Is this a factory part?

It does not have to be chrome, in fact I'd prefer something I can paint to match my truck's color.

Any suggestions? My google searches have turned up countless different bumpers, but they are all for more than I want or need. Really just looking for something exactly like what is pictured, but bolts onto a 2003 DII.

Last edited by gulfstream69xr7; 03-20-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Look for the members that are "parting-out" land rovers in the For Sale classifieds. PM with a link; These guys have tons of stuff. Also try member "Abran." He may be able to help you with that, too.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2001 D2 and I am actually looking to sell mine. It's in great shape with only a very small spot or too or rust on the very bottom - only visible if you get down and look for it and it's hardly anything. I love it, but I want to sell it since I want to upgrade my bumper soon. It gives a good amount of protection for a brush guard. The paint on it seems very durable and it could be repainted and if you really wanted to you could cut off the light guard parts to get exactly what you're looking for - although I think it looks better and offers more protection the way it is.

I can take some pictures if you'd like and post them today or tomorrow. Here's the only I have, only mine doesn't say "Discovery" on the front:

NUDGE BAR WRAPROUND BLACK DISCOVERY II 1999-2002, RNA634, STC50022 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

It's only about two years old and I'd let it go for $400 + whatever shipping is. Let me know if you're interested!

Old 03-20-2016, 12:57 PM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew0
I have a 2001 D2 and I am actually looking to sell mine. It's in great shape with only a very small spot or too or rust on the very bottom - only visible if you get down and look for it and it's hardly anything. I love it, but I want to sell it since I want to upgrade my bumper soon. It gives a good amount of protection for a brush guard. The paint on it seems very durable and it could be repainted and if you really wanted to you could cut off the light guard parts to get exactly what you're looking for - although I think it looks better and offers more protection the way it is.

I can take some pictures if you'd like and post them today or tomorrow. Here's the only I have, only mine doesn't say "Discovery" on the front:

NUDGE BAR WRAPROUND BLACK DISCOVERY II 1999-2002, RNA634, STC50022 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

It's only about two years old and I'd let it go for $400 + whatever shipping is. Let me know if you're interested!

Will that bar mount to a 2003?

I really don't want the full wrap, but if it will bolt on, I could probably make it work.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm pretty sure it will, but let me look into it a bit more and ask a few people and get back to you either tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully someone will chime in on whether or not it'll fit - but I think I have seen them on 03's and 04's. I will post some pictures then as well.

The look of it is really nice, you might even prefer it rather than the plain A-type bar once you mount it.

I'll get back to you though when I know for sure if it fits. I'm in NY by the way, where are you?

Old 03-20-2016, 03:24 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

It will fit an 03. I have a black one just like that. Bolted right on.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the information Dave! I was certain I saw it on an 03/04 before.

I'll post some pictures of mine tonight or tomorrow morning for you!

Old 03-21-2016, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

If you truly want to save your front end the "brush guard" is not the answer. It will simply move in and crush your plastic bumper on it's first little bump. Then on a small fender bender it can damage your front fenders, hood, grill, head lights, and of coarse the OEM bumper.

I know you said you only are into light wheeling, but the 400.00 all steel bumpers from AB would be a much better investment in the long run. I speak from experience on every vehicle I've ever owned with a "brush guard". They do more hard than good IMHO.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:04 AM
Three Wheeling

I have good experiences with this brush bar so far just doing light off roading. I've gone through very thick brush and never had any problems and it has protected my bumper very well.

The only reason I'm thinking of selling it and getting a steel bumper is because I want to do more serious off roading and would like the clearance of it compared to the stock bumper.

Mine feels solid and doesn't move at all if you give it your hardest push. That being said, you are definitely right when you say a fender bender would cause it to push back into the hood...after all it's a brush guard, not a car guard haha.

Whether or not I have this brush guard on when I get into a fender bender or just an exposed stock bumper, there will be damage. It sounds like he just wants something for light off roading, which I can attest to it working great for me for.

I'll put those pictures up in a few hours once I go out to my truck

Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I'll second that the brush guard is fine for light stuff. Brush wont push it and cause damage. Trees probably would with the stock bar. Rocks definitely would. Not brush. Hell, my brush guard that's not a ton heavier than the stock bar held up to a 5 mph impact to a brick wall. Barely budged, and only did because there were 2 bolts not totally torqued down.

Quick Reply: Discovery II brush bar